ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Further development on the MegaCART?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Evermind Genesis Megacart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Further development on the MegaCART? Reply with quote

Hi. Ive had a megacart for over a year and a half now. I love it but there are a few things that could be improved. This device has soooo much potential!

Firstly the .bin names should be longer than 8 characters as this makes in near impossible to know what game you are trying to flash to the cart. Either the display could be altered or the full name could be displayed at the top where is tells you what type and size of rom it is. I think this is the most important revision.

Im not sure if this is possible but it could be a consideration. Swapping the way that the .bin files are transferred to the cart. My idea would be similar to the way GBA carts work - Load the Megadrive (and the Megacart) then accessing the data from the CD to be copied and ran. I know that Pier Solar accessed data from the Mega CD while in megadrive mode so this may be possible to implement in the Megacart. This would make the process alot easier instead of accessing the Megacart from the Mega CD then having to switch on and off to run the .bin

What does everyone else think?

Anyways I love the Megacart and hope to see it progress gracefully in the future Smile
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There needs to be a larger capacity megacart. Especially now that the Neo MD Myth cart is out. I personally love the feature of loading games via CD since it makes the MegaCart completely PC independent.

The thing I did the get around the shortening of the file names was I used a file rename utility to put a number in front of each game, printed a list, then looked through the list when I wanted to play a particular game.
Anonymouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great idea! Cheers for the tip! I wish it could be fixed though. Its very annoying!
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea could be expanded apon by having a file the Genesis loader software reads which has the short filenames in a list as well as their original long file names. You'd just need a program to rename all your ROMs and create the list for the program to read. It would be a great way to get around the 8.3 filename limit.

I would like to see a MegaCart that doesn't have more Flash Memory but instead had either DRAM or SRAM and was exclusively Sega CD loading of ROMs. Loading would probably be faster and there would be no limit to the amount of game loadings like Flash which eventually can wear out. That would a Sega Genesis cartridge similar in operation to the PowerPAK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Evermind Genesis Megacart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: