ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

doubts about Game Doctor SF6
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tedys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: doubts about Game Doctor SF6 Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
recently bought an Doctor SF6, but I have the following doubts:

Can not I run SMC ROM ? (ex: SunsetRiders.smc)?
The games fit on a diskette?

Where can I find roms for download to run on Game Doctor SF6?

Thanks to all
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should use uCON64 convert *.smc to Doctor SF format.
http://ucon64.sourceforge.net/
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the command line you can use the command
ucon64.exe sunsetriders.smc -gd3

This will convert it to Game Doctor SF Format. If you have a game too big to fit on one disk, after you convert the game to Game Doctor SF Format you would do a command like this.

ucon64.exe SF32BIG -s

SF32BIG is just an example name of the converted ROM file. For your information Game Doctor SF expects files to be named in a certain way. It expects the first two letters of the filename to be SF. So for example you might called Mega Man 7, SF16MM7, the 16 has to do with the game's size.

Game Doctor SF6 can play probably 99.9% of SNES games. You can use UCON64 to convert games and if a game gives you a copy protection screen you can even use it to patch that.

Most SNES games will fit onto 1 or 2 diskettes. But some will take 3 or 4. Very few games, probably less than 10, need more than 4 diskettes.
Tedys

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not get it to work, so I open the
"Ucon64.exe" opens a DOS window and that window closes soon
later.

Crying or Very sad

Could you help me?
kiki77

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some instructions for Game Doctor SF6 and Ucon64. It's my blog:
http://gamedoctor-sf6.blogspot.com/

You need a Gui for ucon.

Give me the smc roms and i will do it for you.

Tedys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend, would you make a tutorial or video tutorial showing how to run the game Lester the Unlikely (U).smc ???

Many games do not work, this is one.

help me !
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you convert it to GD3 format with UCON64? What happens when you try to load it. "Doesn't work" is a vague thing to say.
Tedys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is happening is that when loading the game the screen goes black and does not enter the game.

Well, I tested the following games:

Sunset Riders (ran) Smile
Bomberman 5 (ran) Smile
Final Fight 1 (ran) Smile
Sparkster (ran) Smile

Lester the Unlikely (The game does not start, gets black screen) Sad
Street Fighter Alpha (The game does not start, gets black screen) Sad
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street Fighter Alpha 2 will not work, it uses the SDD1 chip.

Lester The Unlikely should work. Download this converted ROM and try it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ANM0K69S
kiki77

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedys wrote:
Friend, would you make a tutorial or video tutorial showing how to run the game Lester the Unlikely (U).smc ???

Many games do not work, this is one.

help me !

I only managed it with the parallel connection. With the disc it doesn't work. I think it's something special.

MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you parallel connection (or Floppy Drive) is not functioning optimally you can have all sorts of random failures. The GDSF6 is probably fine. But during the loading of ROM data an error can occur which corrupts some of the loaded data which can cause an infinite number of random problems and crashes. Parallel Connection can be very reliable but your PC needs to have the Parallel Port in the proper mode, you need a good 25pin cable, nothing too long, and a PC running an operating system that doesn't need a Parallel Port I/O driver (i.e. Windows 9Cool.
retrogamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: .smc to GD3 Reply with quote

First of all I want to say hi to everyone here.

I apologize for digging this old thread up. Since I have been following what this thread has been talking about and have questions about it, so what better place to post?

Before my question, I want to let you guys know that I am not in anyway a computer programmer or anywhere near, so I have a hard time figuring out the steps myself.

SITUATION: I have own a gamedoctor sf3 ever since it was available back in the early 90s till now, but I have never download roms and put them on a floppy before. Recently I wanted to play all the old games again so I did some researching and found some topics from different forums and I ended up here.

QUESTION: Can anyone show me the detail steps on setting up ucon64?

I know that I need to unzip and convert the rom's .smc files to gd3 format using ucon64 in order for the game doctor to read it. I have followed kiki77's blog on the steps for setting up the ucon64 but I could not get it to run correctly.

1) I clicked "frontend" "options" and change the "Path to uCON64 executable" to the ucon64.exe file.

2) I changed the "uCON64 configuration file directory" to the FOLDER that holds the "snes-even-better" file.

3) I clicked "frontend" "select file" and change it to the FOLDER that that holds the "snes-even-better" file.

4) I changed the "output directory" to a folder I created on my desktop.

5)Pressed the test button and it gives me an error message for can't open ntuser.dat and refer me to faq 36 and 47. So I did some reading and I went back to uCON64 "frontend" "Options" "Edit configuration file", locate and edit in 2 directories after the "ucon64_configdir=" and "ucon64_datdir=" to where the FOLDER that holds the "snes-even-better".

I did the test again and everything seems to work fine, so I did a test conversion from "ROM" to "GD3" successfully (so I think) of Zelder link to the past for (picked it because it's a small and a known good file that does not require extra chip to run). Transfer the converted file to a floppy and into the gamedoctor sf3.

The gamedocotr laughed at my face and my entire weekend of work and tells me there is no game file in the disk. I had smoke coming out the top of my head and was about to take my trusty special tool BFH to the gamedoctor, but I realize that I should ask some of you for help before I do so.

Sorry for the length of my post, I just want to post what I did clearly so you guys can point me to the right direction.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you rename the resulting file or something? It won't see games unless the name start with the letters SF. For example a valid name would be SF8ZEL for Zelda. The 8 signals the size of the game. You might also have SF32CT for chrono trigger which is 32 megabits.

Converting roms is pretty easy really. If you convert a file called ZELDA.SMC with UCON64 with the -gd3 option (convert to game doctor format) you should end up with a file called SF8ZEL or it might be SF8ZEL.078

Either is find. Put that file on the floppy and the GD3 should see it and load it.
retrogamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MottZilla, thanks for the quick reply. The answer to your question is simply no. I did not change anything on the output file. I just copy it straight to the floppy. I have deleted the file since it didn't work, but it did had a SF8 in the name.

Did I do anything wrong on the setting of uCON64 though? I have a feeling that I am not setting everything right.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use any frontends. Just run UCON64 from the command line.

Try downloading this already converted ROM file and put it on a disk. If it doesn't work, format the disk in the Game Doctor 3 first.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L7BQL6T0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: