ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saturn to PS2 Adaptor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilSamurai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Saturn to PS2 Adaptor Reply with quote

Hi, dualshock controllers for the playstation2 are well known to be horrible for 2d fighters. In order to rectify this sega released a version of the saturn pad for ps2. Unfortunately the pad was only in production for a short while and has now become very rare. So I am proposing a Saturn to Playstation 2 controller adaptor.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, with the controller being admittedly very rare, how many of these adapters do you think Tomy would actually sell? I would fathom about 5 per year, tops. Not a very good business decision, so I highly doubt such a device would be made. But hey, I could be wrong.

-Rob
rolins

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely would buy a Saturn > PS2 adapter. PS2 Saturn pads are definitely the best gamepads for 2D gaming and they're getting way to expensive to buy, like $80 a piece. I say make them, they'll sell like hot cakes for sure.

Also since the saturn pad is missing the select button on the ps2 pad, I think that button should placed somewhere on the adapter. At least then every button will work.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a Saturn --> PS2 adapter for years now. I've seen loads of people who want to play fighting games on the PS2, but refuse to do so since the native PS2 pad is terrible. In addition, so many people have gear for the Saturn, that they don't want to purchase again for another console, such as Arcade sticks and whatnot.

I personally think theres a big market thats being ignored here and has been for several years. At least, a much bigger market than say, users wanting to use a PS2 joystick on a Neo-Geo :/
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a note, the offical Sega Saturn pads made for the PS2 by Sega have sold out a while ago. Now each pad sells for like 80 bucks used!!! The fighting game market is huge, and everyone (including Sega), knows the D-pad on saturn pads are some of the best around. But now that Sega is a smaller subset of what it used to be, I guess they simply couldn't pump the numbers of PS2 Saturn pads out that demand is looking for.

Basicly on all the forums now, people say its rediculous to find PS2 Saturn pads, but so many people want them. If an adapter was created, it would mean everyone could use their pads now on the PS2.
ReKleSS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've built such a converter myself. Response on Shoryuken was fairly enthusiastic, and I'm getting enough offers to buy one. Building them to sell is kind of a problem for me, though. Anyway, code and details are here.

To Tototek: The code is BSD licensed, so if you're free to use it. I'd be happy to offer any assistance needed.
system64

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Sega Virtua Stick and I would love to use it on PlayStation or PlayStation2. I would definitely buy such an adapter, as long as does not cost more than USD 20.
Videogamer555

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReKleSS wrote:
I've built such a converter myself. Response on Shoryuken was fairly enthusiastic, and I'm getting enough offers to buy one. Building them to sell is kind of a problem for me, though. Anyway, code and details are here.

To Tototek: The code is BSD licensed, so if you're free to use it. I'd be happy to offer any assistance needed.

Forget Microprocessors. Microcontrolers are much better. M-Procesors need external RAM chips. M-Controlers have RAM built in. And I don't know what code to use. I have trouble in my microcontroler class at college writing any program beyond a simple blinking LED. Assembly language SUCKS! Basic is where it's at, but sadly no Microcontroler uses basic.

Also if I made an adapter I'd make a simple wire to wire adaptor. So +5v wire on SEGA controller goes to +5v pin on Sony connector. Ground to Ground. Data in to Data in. Data out to Data out. etc. No computer chips. Just strait through wire connections. That's the type of adaptor you need. There's realy only one way to make a wired controller (circuit wise). The only thing different between different systems (N64, PS, PS2, SNES, etc) is that they are made propriatery with different end connectors (the exception being with Microsoft using a USB game controllerfor the Xbox). But that can be fixed with a bit of wire cutting, stripping, and soldering. Any controller can work with any system (except Xbox and Xbos360), as long as the correct connector is uses. How do you think SEGA made a Saturn controller for PS in the first place? They obviously used a regular Saturn controller, with a PS connector on the end of the cable.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videogamer555: stay in school; practically every controller has different incompatible circuitry, from the simplest multiplexers, to shift registers, to logic arrays, to full blown microcontrollers inside implementing the SPI, USB etc interfaces. The original Saturn PS2 controller is a PS2 controller in a Saturn controller shell...

Assembly doesn't suck either, it's very necessary for many microcontroller applications where performance counts and it makes timed code simple. And you can program practically any MCU in BASIC, particularly PIC and AVR, not to mention there's the BASIC Stamp which has a built in interpreter.
masterlegend

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking all over the web for something that could do this, so I could have a better time playing my 2D fighter games on PS2 and PS1. I was able to find a Sega Saturn To Playstation Adapter here. However, I don't know how long they are going to be in production. This is only converter that I know of on the market. There was previously one by another company but they discontinued it. So if you want something like this you should hurry up and grab one. I purchase one and this thing is awesome. It configures the the start button as Start + A and select button as Start + B, so no issues with games that use select.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow pricey! Neat that they exist but certainly not cheap. You could probably build your own adapter for less if you were into that sort of thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> New Product idea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: