ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming soon: Standalone bootable flashing/diagnose software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oerg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Coming soon: Standalone bootable flashing/diagnose software Reply with quote

Hi

I am going to release an Operating System independent software to flash / test the MD Pro cartridge without the Operating system interfering, meaning direct Parallel Port access.

This can be helpful if your PC with Windows or another OS is not able to detect/flash the MD-Pro cartridge.

The software will be bootable from Floppy Disk and CD (if you know how, even from USB flash drives). It can use the partition types FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS.

In this topic, you can request features and discuss them.

Cheers,
Oerg
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. One thing I want is to be able to write both ways: a single game that boots directly, or multi-games with a menu.
system64

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a great idea. It would be cool if you can flash games off an USB stick.
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, most computers will boot a USB stick, so setting one up with all your roms and this software would be great.
Oerg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB Sticks provide a general issue ...

If your PC can boot off USB stick and you put my program on it, then it should work no problem.

If you boo my program off CD or floppy disk then if your pc allows to show usb storage devices as HDD to DOS then it also works.

If everything else fails, there is still the possibility that the AHCI/OHCI DOS Mass Storage Device Drivers do the trick.

However, on a few SiS and VIA chipsets this does NOT work.

So it is possible, but it might not work every time.

Plus, I'm trying to work on long filename support. Due to how small DOS is, I can basically extend the whole base system with tiny addons that make life easier ... Not to mention that I dont have to load a Parallel Port IO driver Smile

Cheers!
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not related to the MD-Pro but actually I've been working on a standalone DOS CD running most of the oldskool softwares. It's based on DOS 7.1+DOS navigator with custom shell scripts to execute transfers/conversions without the hassle of having to configure anything.
It handles shell extensions, long filenames and it boots in 5 seconds. Nothing extraordinary but so far it's working flawless with the few PCs I've tried. If anybody is interested I'll try to finish a beta version and post it here.
Oerg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that is only a general DOS boot disk and does not help a newbie MD PRO user.

This disc is one designed specifically for the MD pro and therefore more suitable for it, sorry. Appreciate the offer though but to be honest one can simply go to bootdisk.com to do what you did Razz
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oerg wrote:
Actually that is only a general DOS boot disk and does not help a newbie MD PRO user.

This disc is one designed specifically for the MD pro and therefore more suitable for it, sorry. Appreciate the offer though but to be honest one can simply go to bootdisk.com to do what you did Razz

Indeed, I believe I said it was nothing special and not related to the MD Pro.

I offered to share it since a few users have issues transferring on copiers under modern OSes and to play around with old DOS softwares.
Sorry for interferring with your thread, I'll open a new one when it's done Wink
Oerg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem mate Wink
danntor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
It's not related to the MD-Pro but actually I've been working on a standalone DOS CD running most of the oldskool softwares. It's based on DOS 7.1+DOS navigator with custom shell scripts to execute transfers/conversions without the hassle of having to configure anything.
It handles shell extensions, long filenames and it boots in 5 seconds. Nothing extraordinary but so far it's working flawless with the few PCs I've tried. If anybody is interested I'll try to finish a beta version and post it here.

That kinda thing interest me. Been trying to find an old computer that can run Windows 98 well so I cun run old software reliably on it(no matter how much I try parallel ports do not work for long on XP) and this sounds like a good solution until I can find an old cheap ThinkPad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: