ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SF7 and Zip Drive question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Everblue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: SF7 and Zip Drive question Reply with quote

Hi,

I am thinking of getting an SF7 but I am not too fond of having to use a floppy drive. Is there a way I can replace the floppy disk drive with an internal zip drive, or perhaps, some sort of flash card reader?

Thanks!
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SF7 doesn't support ZIP Drive or Flash readers. It supports Floppy Disk, Parallel Port Link to PC, and Parallel Port Link to CD-ROM.

The CD-ROM is mentioned in another topic. If you have an older PC like a laptop you can very easily (and cheaply if you don't have one but seek out a cheap old laptop) store your entire ROM collection on there. With a nice frontend its a great option.
marvelus10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a search but came up empty. Would this work with a BUNG SF7

http://www.storagenewsletter.com/news/disk/datastorage-floppy-disk-drive-emulator-datex
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard it will would but you may need to modify it to be able to switch Floppy Image banks because of the way the GDSF will keep spinning floppys right until you eject them. These devices don't like that and will refuse to switch. So you need to mod something I believe. There is a thread about it if you search.
marvelus10

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok with that fresh in your mind, what about other copiers like my SF3 or Super Pro Fighters.

Ill keep searching for the thread.
madman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same for all copiers, they were all of course designed to be used with a floppy drive. Why not just buy a flash cart and be done with it? These days other than nostalgia and collecting, there's no practical need for a copier.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. The only case I can make for a Copier is a SNES copier since you can get one cheaper than a SNES flash cartridge. So if you really can't spend much money, you could get a GDSF copier and use the floppy disks or parallel link with your PC.

But for other systems like Sega Genesis, N64, PC-Engine, etc the modern Flash Carts are cheaper and better. Why buy a Z64 Copier for something like $300 when for about $100 you could get a EverDrive N64 cart? Or spend who knows what for a PC-Engine Magic Griffon copier when you can buy the PCE Pro Flash cart?
wmwc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely can see their concern about getting a copier. That's why I got one so I didn't have to download ROMs off the net. Trying to be as "legitimate" as possible in this grey area is important, to some people. I respect it, it makes a lot of people feel better about emulating.

The floppy drive isn't that big of a draw back. Dumping/converting games doesn't take as long as you would think. If you are wanting to load games onto the SF7 to play, just use a parallel cable like Mott said. It's really fast but if you are going to copy them to your comp anyway, emulate it. Much better performance.

"There is as much chance of repealing the eighteenth amendment [alcohol prohibition] as there is for a hummingbird to fly to the planet Mars with the Washington Monument tied to its tail." (1930) -Texas Senator Morris Sheppard
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marvelus10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the flash carts also, I just like to mess about with old electronics and such. Just thought it would be fun to do to my SF7.
wmwc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your style, go for it. If you figure a cool hack out let us know. I'm always willing to upgrade something old into a high performance beast Smile
"There is as much chance of repealing the eighteenth amendment [alcohol prohibition] as there is for a hummingbird to fly to the planet Mars with the Washington Monument tied to its tail." (1930) -Texas Senator Morris Sheppard
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a hack project for SF7, use the public schematics for building your own CD7 for loading games off CDROM.
netbeui

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
If you want a hack project for SF7, use the public schematics for building your own CD7 for loading games off CDROM.

Hi MottZilla,

Can you tell me where I can find those public schematics for building a CD7? I searched on Tototek and all over the net but I can't find anything. If you could send me the schematics or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

netbeui wrote:
MottZilla wrote:

Hi MottZilla,

Can you tell me where I can find those public schematics for building a CD7? I searched on Tototek and all over the net but I can't find anything. If you could send me the schematics or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

I'd love to see schematics for building a CD7. I have a CR-542-B CD-ROM drive that I got off ebay a while back that I would love to use to build my own CD7. I know gamedoctorhk sells (or maybe used to sell) a kit for assembling your own CD7, and all you need is a compatible drive. Let us know what you find !
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this on my PC. I'm not sure if it's available online anymore but it was before. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=581XSSRZ

Basically it describes how you make your own interface PCB, opposed to buying a PCB from GameDoctorHK. You still need a specific MKE CDROM drive to make use of it. Some people have made them into very nice looking enclosures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: