ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

uCON64 Support!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jagasian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: uCON64 Support!!!!! Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Mac and Linux users cannot use the SuperFlash Cart because the software requires Windows. Tototek's other flash carts are supported by uCON64, which means that Mac and Linux users can use those carts too. However, the SuperFlash Cart does not work with uCON64!

Tomy, please supply the uCON64 team with the information that they need to support the SuperFlash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will help you sell more SuperFlash carts and make you more money!

Twisted Evil

As pointed out in the replies below, Mac users are also limited by their lack of a parallel port. Parallel printer to USB adapters don't cut it.

Last edited by Jagasian on Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhaunet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can install Windows, and all will work fine
Suppafly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree too. just install Windows.

If we make a poll, im sure most users will vote for adding options to the windows flashers instead of spending time to develop a flasher for other OS´s

dhaunet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be honest, I would love to see SuperFlash support in uCON64. I still intend to use my flash cart in 5 years from now. I doubt that hardware at that time will still support 32-bit Windows (2000 and XP). However some form of parallel port will still be available.

One choise is to keep one of modern boxes around just in case, but I would rather have a PCI-express card in my legacy free PC of 2010 Smile

Plus I'm not sure I'll still be running Microsoft OS. I hope I'll scrap enough courage and dedication to move to Linux or FreeBSD Smile
Jagasian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to pay hundreds of dollars for a copy of Windows, in addition to wasting a gig of harddrive space just to flash my SuperFlash cart.

Also, considering that uCON64 is developed by a group independent from Tototek, it won't require any effort of Tototek other than releasing information of how the Parallel port protocol works... which is about as easy as releasing small code examples taken from their SuperFlasher windows application. So Suppafly, you are wrong. It is not a question of uCON64 support for more Windows features. We can easily have both, which is the case for Tototek's other flash cart devices (yes their other flash cart devices have uCON64 support).
Suppafly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as a company with limited resources (very few people) its the only option to release software for the biggest common fanbase (90% of Pcs use windows right?).

It´d be nice to ask TOmy or Leo if they can release some of that source code, but they could also be using copyrighterd code from someone else. Doesnt hurt to ask..

Just keep in mind that they do the best they can with their time, and they have to think about the majority of people, and not the ones using less-common Os`s.

ketotot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the Superflash hardware uses a similar Parallel port protocol as the MD Pro?
I noticed when I had the Superflash hardware hooked up and opened the Dreamwriter software for the MD Pro card, it would recognize the device and attempt to write to the Superflash cart (though unsuccessfully).
dbjh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaunet wrote:
I think you can install Windows, and all will work fine

Suppafly wrote:
I agree too. just install Windows.

Surely you both are intelligent enough to come up with a reply that's not as mindless as those. Jagasian speaks for non-Windows users. It's plain ridiculous to suggest using Windows to those people. You both are also ignoring the fact that Windows is not cheap software.
BTW Mac people won't be helped with uCON64 support (currently).

Suppafly wrote:
If we make a poll, im sure most users will vote for adding options to the windows flashers instead of spending time to develop a flasher for other OS´s

That's completely besides the point. Jagasian doesn't ask ToToTEK to develop a tool for another OS, he simply asks them to provide me with the necessary information so that *I* can implement TigerSoft's SuperFlash programmer support. With ToToTEK's other flash cards that was as easy as porting a piece of Delphi code to C (not that it wasn't a time consuming task). We are not talking about the majority of PC users here. It's not exactly a secret that about 95% of the PC's have some version of Windows installed. FYI some people don't base their choice of OS on what the majority of the people use.

dhaunet wrote:
Well, to be honest, I would love to see SuperFlash support in uCON64. I still intend to use my flash cart in 5 years from now. I doubt that hardware at that time will still support 32-bit Windows (2000 and XP). However some form of parallel port will still be available.

I am pretty sure we will still live in the PC era five years from now. The successor of Windows XP is being developed now and AFAIK is planned to be released in 2006. That means that at least Microsoft expects that we will still be using PC's.
It's more important for you that uCON64 is F/OSS (Free/Open Source Software). That means that anybody can use the source code and port it to the platform of their choice (if it has a parallel port). That's a whole lot easier than reverse engineering the current software. On top of that, reverse engineering code that you can't actually run is pretty difficult.

dhaunet wrote:
One choise is to keep one of modern boxes around just in case, but I would rather have a PCI-express card in my legacy free PC of 2010

I wish the PC's of 2010 will be legacy free, but I doubt it. Microsoft's monopoly is surely based (in part) on backwards compatibility. If they leave backwards compatibility behind, there's no reason to prefer Windows over say GNU/Linux or Mac OS X.

dhaunet wrote:
Plus I'm not sure I'll still be running Microsoft OS. I hope I'll scrap enough courage and dedication to move to Linux or FreeBSD

Well, you don't really need courage to make the switch. As a realistic GNU/Linux user I can say that you *do* need lots of patience. And you can't run all the software you are accustomed to use now, although WINE runs many important programs. Some people think switching to Linux means that you have to leave Windows behind completely, but that's not true. Just create an extra partition and install GNU/Linux on that partition. That's what I did. At first I used GNU/Linux once in a while. Now I hardly use Windows anymore.

Suppafly wrote:
Well, as a company with limited resources (very few people) its the only option to release software for the biggest common fanbase (90% of Pcs use windows right?).

Again, they don't have to release software for another OS. The only thing we are asking is that they release the transfer code of the current software or at least give us enough information about the transfer protocol.

Suppafly wrote:
It´d be nice to ask TOmy or Leo if they can release some of that source code, but they could also be using copyrighterd code from someone else. Doesnt hurt to ask..

Software is *always* copyrighted, but you're right, it could well be that ToToTEK doesn't have the copyright. I agree that it doesn't hurt to ask, but you know as well as I do that ToToTEK doesn't have the reputation of being the most responsive company around ;-) If only Tomy or Leo would explain the situation. I can't imagine why they couldn't say anything about this matter. If they don't have the copyright they could tell us who does have the copyright. Then we can ask *them* for some information about the transfer protocol.

Suppafly wrote:
Just keep in mind that they do the best they can with their time, and they have to think about the majority of people, and not the ones using less-common Os`s.

Do I really have to reply to that argument again? I'm sure they are pretty busy, but it doesn't need much time to think about this matter and tell us what they decided.

ketotot wrote:
Do you think the Superflash hardware uses a similar Parallel port protocol as the MD Pro?
I noticed when I had the Superflash hardware hooked up and opened the Dreamwriter software for the MD Pro card, it would recognize the device and attempt to write to the Superflash cart (though unsuccessfully).

I guess the protocol is similar, just as with the other ToToTEK's flash card programmers. However, it doesn't really help.
Suppafly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows isnt expensive. You can usually find windows 98 copies (originals) for 10 US or less on ebay....
JohnDie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: uCON64 Support!!!!! Reply with quote

As one of the developers of uCON64 I would like to support Jagasian's request. I would really like to include support for the SuperFlash into uCON64. It would be very nice, if someone of Tototek could give us the needed information to do so, this would be really helpful.

Concerning the latest posts in this thread: It's not a question of the price of Windows, it's the "free" that counts.
Suppafly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ask tomy then, and see if he can help.....
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please wait a little bit. When Leo back, he will send its source. Thanks

-tomy
Jagasian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tomy, dbjh, JohnDie. Long live Tototek! Long live uCON64!
The Dumper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomy wrote:
Please wait a little bit. When Leo back, he will send its source. Thanks

-tomy

Thanks Tomy!
ketotot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used uCON64 for flashing games onto a cart.
How does it work? And does it let you create your own menu for selecting games on the cart?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: