ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

just a couple of questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parkakid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: just a couple of questions Reply with quote

im looking into getting a 64meg cart but im not sure which options i need?
what exactly is the CIC-161 Chip used for?
if i order the CIC -161 chip and cart is the chip soldered on the flash cart or will i need to do the soldering myself
if i want to play dsp games i need the t-connector is this correct?

thanks in advance
The Dumper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CIC chip is a copy protection and region protection chip. CIC logic is found in all SNES carts, usually in the form of a 16-pin DIP IC like the CIC-161. Most people call the CIC chip a lockout chip because if you don't have one your SNES locks you out and you can't run the software on the cart. There are two versions of the CIC chip used in the SNES, an NTSC version (CIC-161) which works with US SNESes and Japanese Super Famicoms, and a PAL version (used in Europe) which Tototek doesn't sell, you must remove a PAL CIC from a PAL SNES cart if you need one of these.

You need a CIC chip in your cart unless you have modified the hardware in your SNES to work without one. You can remove a CIC chip from most standard SNES carts (you have to de-solder it) and put it in your Super Flash, or you can order the the CIC-161 from Tototek. If you order the CIC-161 with your Super Flash it will come soldered on the board. I'd recommend ordering the Tototek CIC-161 with your Super Flash if you have an NTSC SNES.

To get started with the Super Flash you will need:

1 - Super Flash Programmer (one programmer can program any number of Super Flash cards)

1 - Super Flash Card (holds the games/software you run on the SNES)

1 - CIC chip (you can either order the CIC-161 or de-solder one from a SNES cart). You can use the Super T Connector (below) to plug a SNES cart in and bypass the need for a CIC chip on the Super Flash (because you are substituting the CIC on the SNES cart plugged into the T Connector). I'd go with the CIC chip.

1 - Parallel cable (25 pin male to male straight through) to transfer data to the programmer
1 - USB A to B cable to provide power to the programmer
I got the cables locally but Tototek sells these too.

Optional
----------------------

Case for the Super Flash card - you probably want one. You can use a shell from an old SNES game or you can order one from Tototek or you can go without and plug the bare pcb.

Super T Connector - used to support DSP games (primarily DSP1 games). Some DSP titles are Pilotwings, Super Mario Kart, Lock-On, Ballz 3D, Super 3D Baseball, ... (more). As mentioned above you can use this to avoid having to install a CIC lockout chip on the Super Flash, but you'll have to have the T connector, Super Flash, and standard SNES cart all plugged in at once to use it without a CIC (without a CIC on the Super Flash that is, if you use this configuration you are using the CIC on the SNES game).
parkakid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

thank you for the very informative reply. i now know exactly what to order for my japanese super famicom!!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: