ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doctor V64 CD-R Rom burning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puq123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Doctor V64 CD-R Rom burning Reply with quote

Hello, just got this Doctor V64. I'm having problems with burning discs with roms on them. I burn some .V64 roms on a disc, put the disc in the Doctor, boot it up and it finds all the games on the disc. I press play, it loads up the game and it says that it's ready to play the game, meaning that I need to turn on my 64. Nothing happens after that, just a black screen. When I got the Doctor V64 I got a disc with some random ROMS on it, and that plays perfectly fine, loads up all the games on the disc with no problem. So therefore I must be doing something terribly wrong when I burn the roms to a disc (normal 700mb CD-R discs) so I could use someones help here.

I download a .v64 rom (or z.64, but bitswap it so it's converted to .v64)
Then I drag it over to the empty disc in the file explorer on windows 10 (I've tried the Nero burning software too, no luck)
Then right-click the CD, click burn and then finished.
And I get the error I explained above. I changed the Disc drive from the original 8x one to a newer 52x one, both works with the disc I got with it, but not with the burns I try to do.
I'm in Europe, so I'm PAL btw. There is a NTSC game on the old disc, and it plays perfecty, so I don't think it has to do with anything regional.

So if anyone who has or have had a Doctor V64, please tell me how you managed to burn N64 Roms to a CD to be playable on a V64.
yuks131

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
im working on a DV64 project right now im using the CF card mod and for all roms to be listed and loaded they need to be labeled as follows:
n64001.v64
n64002.v64

and so on, its been years since ive burnt a cd but will try once its up and running. i know the N64 is region locked try a different region cart in the passthrough adapter or make sure you have the correct rom for your region. I found the best cart to use for the passthrough was golden worked with practically every rom i had.
puq123

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot dude! I noticed that the ROMS on the disc that worked was named like that, didn't think much of it. Thank you a lot for answering me on this semi dead forum haha
Mario64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 5 CD collection I got with my V64 seems like it has most or all playable USA games. I am thinking of uploading it somewhere that I can share with others but I don't know where...
puq123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I don't think you need to. All you basically have to do is downloading a big pack of N64 games, run them through Tool64 so the files are byteswaped to .v64, and then rename them to n64001.v64, n64002.v64, n64003.v64 etc and then burn them to a disc.
It's pretty easy now when I know what to do haha. I've been looking all over the Internet for burn instructions but never found any until the last puzzle piece was found thanks to yuks131

Now I just need to get some games actually working, I've gotten Mario Part 1 and 2 working, but not Mario Party 3 and some other games. Come to think of it, I've only gotten Mp1&2 working plus some other third party developed games working, no real nintendo games like Yoshi's story or mario kart. They just turn up with a black screen. If anyone has any clue, shoot up a message
Mario64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see a new, tested collection of CD releases using this format...
yuks131

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad i could be of some help, i still need help with my project stuck trying to have two devices on the same IDE.

Anyway in regards to mario party 3 it was a problem game back then i used a patch i think to get it working. Dextrose.com used to have all the patches, tools trainers and bios files. site doesnt exsist anymore but i know a site that has every file backed up if you interested?
CZroe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V64 does not support packet-writing or any UDF file systems. That functionality wasn’t even built into Windows back then and you had to use something like Adaptec EZ CD Creator. Heck, you couldn’t read those CDs in most computers either since it required commercial software before operating systems started building in CD-R support. Even then, you were often limited to the first session unless the CD was “finalized.”

I just stick to 8.3 file names and use IMGBurn to burn them in the most compatible format. One session, closed, with a simple volume label like “V64.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: