ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PAL/NTSC MegaCD info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Evermind Genesis Megacart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a6ela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: PAL/NTSC MegaCD info Reply with quote

cheers for this Megacart!!
im just about to buy it, but can not seem to find the right info about what im after.

If anyone can please help me out, i will be forever grateful Smile

q1) i have a PAL Megadrive2 and getting a MegaCD, so the question is, with this megacart, can i USE any megaCD PAL/NTSC with my PAL megadrive?

q2) the same goes with using a 32x, can i use a NTSC 32x with my PAL megadrive?

q3) You have mentioned that the megadrive will need to be modded in order to play some games, eg50-60Mhz switch. Do u have any information about this? or how i can do this myself with out sending my megadrive to the UK (consolepassion.co.uk)

thanks for your time,
cheers
LeX
fonzie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Héhé, some quite technical questions, i'll try to answer as clear as possible, if you don't understand something, just tell me.

Q1) yeah, you can mix your megadrive with any megacd region using megacart... All the games will work (normaly) holding A B or C.

Btw, to use your utility disc (if you want to use it), you may hold Start+C instead of Start only (C for a europe megadrive). Holding Start (as said in megacart manual) will/may show you the usual "bad region" screen (exept if modded megadrive).

q2) Megacart do not bypass the 32x protection (its impossible btw).. You need to have a game that is done for your 32x/megadrive set and your 32x must match with your megadrive (exept if modded megadrive).

q3) Yeah, few games are programmed to run with specific frequency (especialy FMV games), to be sure that all will be fine, the best idea is to switch your megadrive in frequency and region.
If you have basic soldering skills, i think it is easy to mod your megadrive, you may find some tutorials around the web. If you hesitate, just post the link here Smile

Thank you for your interest
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the 32X protection you speak of? I was under the impression 32X were regionless although the games like any other MD game could detect
JP/EN and 60/50Hz.
fonzie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Héhé, sorry Smile
I was speaking of 32x or megacd32x games Smile
Regular megacd games or megadrive games will run fine, no worries Smile
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 32X regions are identical right? So even 32X games are only locked out by standard MD protection.
fonzie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, some games are hardcoded for the frequency, no way to play them on a different frequency exept if you switch your 32x.
a6ela

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the reply guys.

fonzie, i take it your the boss around here Wink thanks for the wonderful info!

So this is my deal:
I live in Australia i have a PAL Megadrive2, seems ebay in Australia DONT have any megaCD drives, so i "should" get a pal one from the UK, BUT our dollar is almost 3x the UK pound. So i dont want to pay sh!t loads for a megaCD. So my next best thing to do would be to buy one from the USA.
Same goes for the 32x, its just better for me to import the hardware from the USA coz its far cheaper Very Happy

So with your wonderful MeagCart, i will be able to play all the lost games i could never play before!

NOW, i DO NOT want to have to send my MegaDrive to the UK! dont trust that type of stuff, i have looked over the net for information on the 2 mods for the megaDrive 50/60Mhz & Eng/Jap. BUT i can not seem to find anything that tells me how to do this!

PLEASE for the love of god fonzie, please tell me how to do this! i have electronic skills so no issues here.
fonzie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho, no, i'm not the boss Smile I'm not even admin Wink

http://www.segakore.fr/articles/switch_md2.html
http://www.segakore.fr/articles/switch_md1.html
Here are some "good" tutorials from Segakore friend.
I cannot guaranty that it will apply to your australian megadrive, but if you can localise all the points in your pcb, it might be fine Wink

Just search on google for english tutorials if you cannot read french... there are plenty of them i think... The best thing is to make frequency+region switch Smile

As I told you, to play megacd discs, the megadrive switching isn't neccessary, really... I personnaly have no segacd games that refuse to work on my megacd (and i hadn't switch my megadrive).

Good luck

Fonz
a6ela

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FU#K YEAH!

you made my day fonzie! and no i dont speak french, but France has PAL, so thats ok with my MegaDrive2!

Super cool!

fonzie is there anything u dont know about SEGA? Wink

thanX a million
-=LeX=-
a6ela

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick question fonzie:
With the issue with the 32x, if i change the Mega drive frequency (with the switch mod) i will be able to play USA32x games on my PAL megadrive right?
Skullmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here fonzie, but since I live in Australia and have done the MD1 and 32X mod (from the great Segakore articles) on Australian hardware, I thought this would be an easy answer.

a6ela, you will find a how-to mod the 32x on the same site:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.segakore.net/articles/mod_cable_rgb_fr_md.php&prev=/search%3Fq%3Drgb%2Bvideo%2Bmod%2Bsega%2Bmegadrive%26start%3D30%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

I have the site already bookmarked, translation isn't great, but it gives you 90% understanding.

I have Australian MD1, MCD1, and 32X. By modding the MD1 for Frequency/Country, (and to added standard S-video out), and Frequency switch on 32x, (as well as standard Composite out, with S-Video on the way), I can confirm that I can play games from ANY region.

A sweet side effect is a lot of the Japanese MD and 32X games have all English content if you switch the language switch Very Happy .

Ends up with a Hell of a lot of outputs hanging off the back, but it is much easier than trying to get genuine sega cables nowdays.

Let me know if you want help/pics.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Evermind Genesis Megacart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: