ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Wildcard DX2 + Disk Dual + Compact Flash to IDE WORKS!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfeman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably a stupid question but is using a Disk Dual the absolute only way to get an external HD on the WildCard DX ?

Is it possible to replace the floppy with a Zip Drive?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's the only way to get a HD for the DX2, not DX.

No it's not possible to replace the floppy with a Zip.
gmlesrpg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eastbayard
Could you please repost photos or send me on my email your system

gblard@free.fr

Thanks you
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jagasian wrote:
However, the zip drive can also be replaced with FAT32 disk drives attached to the DX2 via a Jaz Traveller, which is the same SCSI-to-parport adapter used in the Zip drives supported by the DX2. The Jaz Traveller can be found for around $15 on Ebay, so it is more readily available than the Kingbyte adapter needed for a hard drive replacement for the DX2.

Anyone try a Jaz 2gb drive + Jaz Traveller (or any other SCSI external device) with their DX2?

also, does there exist a tool to batch convert/fix a bunch of ROMS to properly work on a DX2?
Jagasian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastbayarb wrote:
Jagasian wrote:
However, the zip drive can also be replaced with FAT32 disk drives attached to the DX2 via a Jaz Traveller, which is the same SCSI-to-parport adapter used in the Zip drives supported by the DX2. The Jaz Traveller can be found for around $15 on Ebay, so it is more readily available than the Kingbyte adapter needed for a hard drive replacement for the DX2.

Anyone try a Jaz 2gb drive + Jaz Traveller (or any other SCSI external device) with their DX2?

also, does there exist a tool to batch convert/fix a bunch of ROMS to properly work on a DX2?

Yes. I tried just about every combination of peripherals with the DX2, including the latest revision of the Jaz 2GB drive (the slim aerodynamic one). Since the DX2 expects it to be a 100MB zip drive, it can only format the Jaz disks to 100MB in size, but you can always format the Jaz disks from a PC.

The benefit to the Jaz Traveller is that it is more common than a Disk Dual compatible drive enclosure. However, since a CF-to-IDE adapter and CF cards are extremely common and inexpensive, there is a benefit to that approach.

One combination that I did not get around to trying was a Jaz traveller combined with a SCSI-to-IDE adapter, so that I could use a CF card instead of a zip drive.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried a Jaz Traveller with a 2gb Jaz Drive (with disks formatted on a PC) and did it actually work good?
Jagasian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastbayarb wrote:
have you tried a Jaz Traveller with a 2gb Jaz Drive (with disks formatted on a PC) and did it actually work good?

I remember only getting games to load from a 2GB Jaz drive when the disks were formatted to 100MB, but I think it was because I wasn't formatting the disks properly under Linux.

Another person claimed on the now defunct Cherryroms forums to format the disks to 2GB using Windows and was able to load use the full 2GB of space on their DX2. However, I never confirmed that because I didn't have access to a Windows PC back then.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jagasian wrote:
eastbayarb wrote:

I remember only getting games to load from a 2GB Jaz drive when the disks were formatted to 100MB, but I think it was because I wasn't formatting the disks properly under Linux.

Another person claimed on the now defunct Cherryroms forums to format the disks to 2GB using Windows and was able to load use the full 2GB of space on their DX2. However, I never confirmed that because I didn't have access to a Windows PC back then.

Well I finally got a 2gb jaz drive, jaz traveller, 2gb jaz disks, approprate SCSI card to connect to the PC, and an a appropriate SCSI cable to connect the Jaz 2gb drive to my SWC DX2. After connecting the drive to my PC and copying games from my compact flash 2gb card to the Jaz 2gb disk, I connected the drive to my SWC DX2. Unfortunately, I try to run games and even format on the SWC DX2 but it errors out. I tried browsing the Jaz 2gb disks via hard drive and Zip drive on my SWC DX2 but it errors out. What's worse is so much as having the SCSI cable connected to the SWC DX2 makes it reset. I know my SWC DX2 and Jaz 2gb drive is good.

Any ideas? Did a search on google and since that cherryroms article is gone, I am out of answers.
Jagasian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this straight. Are you using the following setup?
DX2 Parallel Port <==> Jaz Traveller <==> External SCSI 2GB Jaz Drive

You need to make sure that the SCSI termination and ID settings on the Jaz Drive are the same as they are in the Zip drive. I don't remember the details, but I faintly remember writing them in my old CherryRoms posts.

I was definitely able to format the Jaz disks using my DX2, but it would format them to 100MB in size. So my guess is that you are not using the correct SCSI settings. By the way, which Jaz drive are you using? There are multiple different external SCSI Jaz Drives. I used the newest revision, which is aerodynamically shaped.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jagasian wrote:
Let me get this straight. Are you using the following setup?
DX2 Parallel Port <==> Jaz Traveller <==> External SCSI 2GB Jaz Drive

You need to make sure that the SCSI termination and ID settings on the Jaz Drive are the same as they are in the Zip drive. I don't remember the details, but I faintly remember writing them in my old CherryRoms posts.

I was definitely able to format the Jaz disks using my DX2, but it would format them to 100MB in size. So my guess is that you are not using the correct SCSI settings. By the way, which Jaz drive are you using? There are multiple different external SCSI Jaz Drives. I used the newest revision, which is aerodynamically shaped.

Yes my setup is exactly as you described. I don't know what the SCSI ID should be for my Jaz 2gb drive (which by the way is the dark green Jaz 2gb drive). I tried many different SCSI ID's and all 3 termination settings but no luck.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's an update. the jaz traveller I got didn't come with the 50pin to 25pin adaptor so I got one at the computer store in town as well as a SCSI-II
50pin male to male cable. I chose to browse via the hard drive and that errored out, but I chose to browse via Zip and it seemed to work but all the directories and files are all garbled. Trying to browse some directories and executing files causes the SWC DX2 to freeze.

anyone know how to properly get the Jaz 2gb to work?
Bishop702

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Jazz 2gb with Jaz traveller Reply with quote

Ok hope this helps. I tried to get this thing to work with my SWC dx2 32mb... NOTHING SO FAR.
I have 3 different jaz traveller adapters and 1 1gb jaz drive and 1 2gb jaz drive. I have tried all the settings on the scsi, different combinations of old and newer jaz travellers and it just won't access the drive. I tried to find as much info on this as possible but after several attempts and months it just didn't work. The only thing I might add to help out is that I read an article to get a jazz traveller to work with OTHER scsi devices( rather then a jazz drive) you need to add a power source to one of the pins. It would be great if anyone can get this to work.
Until then I like my SF7 and JUST finished converting and going through the 13000 rom snes collection I had. Only kept the working files and got rid of all the bad betas and the non playable non english games.

I'll look for my research on the JAzz drive issue and post more if I can find it.

Bishop702
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jazz 2gb with Jaz traveller Reply with quote

that sucks. I would really like to use the 2gb jaz drive since it is smaller than my disk dual.
when u converted your roms, did u make a list of what games are what? any way I can get that collection off u?

still looking for the Art of the Game CD set...

Bishop702 wrote:
Ok hope this helps. I tried to get this thing to work with my SWC dx2 32mb... NOTHING SO FAR.
I have 3 different jaz traveller adapters and 1 1gb jaz drive and 1 2gb jaz drive. I have tried all the settings on the scsi, different combinations of old and newer jaz travellers and it just won't access the drive. I tried to find as much info on this as possible but after several attempts and months it just didn't work. The only thing I might add to help out is that I read an article to get a jazz traveller to work with OTHER scsi devices( rather then a jazz drive) you need to add a power source to one of the pins. It would be great if anyone can get this to work.
Until then I like my SF7 and JUST finished converting and going through the 13000 rom snes collection I had. Only kept the working files and got rid of all the bad betas and the non playable non english games.

I'll look for my research on the JAzz drive issue and post more if I can find it.

Bishop702
gmlesrpg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: cf to ide for dual disk Reply with quote

Hi All,

Is somebody able to give the accurate model or photo for CF TO IDE ADAPTER for dual disk

Thanks you for your help
Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: cf to ide for dual disk Reply with quote

gmlesrpg wrote:
Hi All,

Is somebody able to give the accurate model or photo for CF TO IDE ADAPTER for dual disk

Thanks you for your help

Any CF-IDE adapter will work. (I've had loads).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: