ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NES flash cart - You can buy them but....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it CAN work, logically there's nothing stopping it, just something physical.
acem77

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just tested a 68pf and a 120pf and a variable 10-90pf caps with no luck. i still have not received any emails from the powerpak creator.
acem77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered some 200 ohm pots to put in line with the data points on the powerpak.

My plan is to remove all the components from a game genie and use it as a pass through. Then solder the 200 ohm pots on to the game genie.

i do not feel like messing with/messing up the powerpak its self.

Does any company sell straight pass though connectors that would work with a nes. That would be great then i could skip messing with the game genie.

Does anyone know if bunnyboy/ the creator of the powerpak is still alive?
He still has not replied to my email.
I have not asked too much from him. I see this as being very rude if he is choosing not to write back.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USA<->Euro adapters pass all the lines, except the CIC lines. Game Genies however are a lot cleaper and more plentiful, but probably less stable since they use power, and add delay to the signals.

I don't think you should have gotten pots, plain resistors would be fine since the value isn't critical and pots are more difficult to wire/take up more space.

bunnyboy lurks often at Nesdev, just yesterday I think he said something. Try PMing him there?
Wolfeman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE the PowerPak, and I think it is very fairly priced. I wish the developer would be more responsive to e-mails, I had trouble when I got mine and in fact it was my e-mail regarding .sav files not working correctly that prompted him to update the powerpak firmware from 1.11 to 1.12. - Getting in touch with him during that time was like pulling teeth.

I was hoping that a LOT more NES homebrew and mapper development /bug fixes would have happened by now due to the PowerPak's release but it doesn't seem to be the case.

kyuusaku: have you worked on or released your MMC5 mapper you mentioned earlier? I'd love to test it out.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never designed a MMC5, I had designed:

VRC1/2/4/6
MMC1/MMC3
Mapper 33 (Taito mappers combined)
Mapper 16 (Bandai mappers combined)

And released them to Nesdev but had trouble getting the PowerPak to emulate open-bus, some Konami and Bandai games needed to be cracked in order to start. Also due to other PowerPak complications, none of the games which used IRQ counters were glitch free. This was a year ago though and I've since deleted all my files and I don't know when I plan to work on them again.

Quote:
I was hoping that a LOT more NES homebrew and mapper development /bug fixes would have happened by now due to the PowerPak's release but it doesn't seem to be the case.

There's already a ton of NES homebrew that dates back to 12 years ago so the PowerPak didn't really help in any way. Sure it allows you to run your program on authentic hardware, but like all copiers it contains initialization code which makes it less accurate than a simple EPROM cart which have been used forever and it's certainly less convenient to use than a good emulator for development.

And it's not fun debugging mappers, especially when the PowerPak or design program is at fault and you can't figure out what's wrong to begin to fix it. Also few people involved in NES homebrew even know or care about synthesizing mappers, there's only one other person who posted their own mappers to Nesdev besides me and since we aren't employees of RetroZone....
Wolfeman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, thanks for the update and explanation. I do realize there has been nes development and homebrew for a long time but I had hoped for a re-invigoration, that's all. I guess I was taking the advertising for the PowerPak a little too optimistically Wink

Some of the homebrew games I enjoy can not run on actual hardware anyway, only emulators... Mario Adventure comes to mind as being one of those.
acem77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
I know bunnyboy from NESdev, that's it. As I understand it, he's not very active anywhere.

The voltage can't be measured with a meter, it runs at 5MHz which you'd need an oscilloscope to see and still wouldn't mean anything really.

The first thing I'd try is to cut PPU D0-7 (pins 30-33, 66-69), and solder ~100 ohm resistors in between.

Look at this guide: http://www.nespowerpak.com/powerpakmod.html
but change the pins to 30-33 & 66-69.

I finally got around to getting a game genie and gutting it to make a straight through converter.
I cut PPU D0-7 (pins 30-33, 66-69), and soldered 200 ohm pots in between.
It does nothing I can notice. Even When I set the pots all the way to 200ohms
I have tested it in both a RGB and stock nes with the power pak and a retail cart. Everything works as if the pots had not been there.

Now i need a new idea to try..??
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this will be better than the powerpak:

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,5148.0.html

Apparently, it will come in two flavors - NES style for the Toaster style systems (USA, PAL - PAL needs work at the moment), and top loading style for Japanese Famicom and hopefully, famicom clones. Neo Flash claims almost every mapper works, but I have yet to hear about MMC5 compatibility. Also, they say that real time save and I think game genie will be implemented. Dr Neo of Neoflash provides much better customer service and there is a forum unlike retrousb.com I have nothing but respect for retrousb and the guy that made the PowerPak (I have one and use it frequently with my AV Famicom), but the support is seriously lacking.

Here's hoping....

I wish someone would make an NES clone with native RGB support...My 37" Mitsubishi RGB/VGA monitor is BEGGING for an RGB capable NES/Famicom system!
acem77

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastbayarb wrote:
I hope this will be better than the powerpak:

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,5148.0.html

Apparently, it will come in two flavors - NES style for the Toaster style systems (USA, PAL - PAL needs work at the moment), and top loading style for Japanese Famicom and hopefully, famicom clones. Neo Flash claims almost every mapper works, but I have yet to hear about MMC5 compatibility. Also, they say that real time save and I think game genie will be implemented. Dr Neo of Neoflash provides much better customer service and there is a forum unlike retrousb.com I have nothing but respect for retrousb and the guy that made the PowerPak (I have one and use it frequently with my AV Famicom), but the support is seriously lacking.

Here's hoping....

I wish someone would make an NES clone with native RGB support...My 37" Mitsubishi RGB/VGA monitor is BEGGING for an RGB capable NES/Famicom system!

would be nice Smile needs rgb support.

i was hoping some one would make a rgb clone but the odds are very small.

did you ever find a rgb ppu for you nes
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no not yet. Even if i did find an RGB PPU, I don't have the skill to install it. Was hoping someone would do it for me but the chances of that seem slim to none...
acem77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of a bitch >Sad

I just got my new nes with the v4 Motherboard... it has the same problem with the powerpak
as my v7 MB nes.

I was up till 3am all happy thinking it was going to work with the powerpak just like the last nes i modded with the v4 MB.

I did take high rez pics of the v4 nes that does work with the powerpak.

The main difference I see is in the daughter board with the av,rf and power connections.
There are some small brand name changes for some components.

This v4 nes is the 1st nes I did the does need the cap from pin 24 on the ppu to gnd.

Things I have tried to do when i had the v4 nes that did work with the powerpak.

Switched rgb ppus, cart slots, removed the rgb amp, used the the cap on on pin 24 to gnd.
acem77

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listed below are Things I can tell are different between the two nintendos

The biggest differences I found are the use of 74LSXXX and 74HCXXX ICs
And the missing 4Mhz CIC. Not really sure what the part is called? Ceramic Resonator?
I am leaning toward the 74XXXXX ICs.

The NES that does not work with the powerpak when rgb modded.
nes-cpu-04
SN# N1394910

Different part numbers
U3 HD74LS139P
U2 HD74LS373P

this system is also missing a few components.
C11 .01u Ceramic Cap (near the blue power connector)
C12 .01u Ceramic Cap (near the blue power connector)
4Mhz Out CIC (circuitry/lockout chip clock line). runs to pin 71 on the cart. It has 2 empty holes. (near the 3193a lockout chip)

Any other newer nes-cpu-07 Nintendos I looked at have a 3pin(one pin to gnd) light blue 4Mhz cic on them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The NES that does work with the powerpak when rgb modded.
nes-cpu-04
SN# N1284385

Different part numbers
U3 TC74HC139P
U2 TC74HC373P
This nes 4Mhz looks like a Ceramic Resonator. It is red/orange in color.
I would guess it uses 2 pins. I mailed the nintendo back and can not verify that any more.
but the v4 nes I have now only has 2 holes on the pc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a difference between the power/RF/AV daughter board.
There are only 5 pins going to that. 2 for power, 1 gnd, 1 composite video and 1 mono audio.
I have a hard time believing that will effect the ppu or the powerpaks graphic abilities.

Both nintendos have 74LSXXX silk screened on the pcb by U2 and U3.
The working nes uses 74HCXXX ICs even though the silk screen calls for the the other 74LSXXX.

while looking for info on 74 ICs I found this on a site.
The 74LS (Low-power Schottky) family (like the original) uses TTL (Transistor-Transistor Logic) circuitry which is fast but requires more power than later families. The 74 series is often still called the 'TTL series' even though the latest ICs do not use TTL!

The 74HC family has High-speed CMOS circuitry, combining the speed of TTL with the very low power consumption of the 4000 series. They are CMOS ICs with the same pin arrangements as the older 74LS family. Note that 74HC inputs cannot be reliably driven by 74LS outputs because the voltage ranges used for logic 0 are not quite compatible, use 74HCT instead.

It sounds like the all nintendos really should only use 74LSXXX ICs. But I have saw one with 74LSXXX ICs.

Does any one have any feed back on this. Expecially the 4Mhz part and 74XXXXX ICs.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow if acem77 can't do it, I don't know who can Sad

I wish they would just release an NES clone with RGB output - I mean if they can have NES/Famicom clones shaped like ps2's, xbox, and gamecube, I don't know why they can't do an RGB unit.

Let's hope the Neo FC cart will adress some RGB probs (I have talked to Dr Neo about this and he said he'd look into it, although he doesn't have an RGB modded NES at the moment).
acem77

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success!!!!

I found the fix at least for the v4 nes pcb. I bought a Toshiba 74HC373AP at a local electronics supply store and replaced the 74LS373P.
The powerpak started to work after a few tries. it seems to be a little touchy. I do have every thing in pieces now so that could be the problem.
I will have to look in to it a bit more but I feel for the most part the problems is solved.
next I will replace the same chip in my v7 nes pcb and see if this is a universal fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> New Product idea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: