ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MEGACART V1.X and running Electronic Arts Games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Evermind Genesis Megacart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phonedork

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: MEGACART V1.X and running Electronic Arts Games Reply with quote

Why do I have problems running electronic arts games? Is there a protection on these games that make it not work on the MEGACART V1.X or is there a hacked version of these roms that make it work on the MEGACART V1.X.

Also the instructions were very minimal. I had to come here download the tools and use common sense to upload roms. But this device claims to have 2000 blocks for saves. Is this only for CD games? If so, then how do you transfer saves from my CDX to the cart? Also if there is a way to save games that I flashed on the cart, then how? I know sram saves dont work. But how do you save games other wise that are flashed to the cart? There is nothing in the instructions that show you. I mean if this site was not here I would not even have known how to make a bootable cd with my roms.
fonzie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Nobody ever reported a problem playing EA games with megacart... It must be your roms that are corrupted or their checksum is bad.
Emulators usually fake fixed checksum, but when it comes flashed on megacart, nobody is here to fix the checksum and you end with a red screen of the death (or nothing).
Another common problem is the fact some people just rename .smd files into .bin to "convert" them for megacart... this is an absolute misunderstood. So there is a bunch of bad .bin or bad .smd that are in fact .smd or .bin... Again, emulators don't care of file extension so it always work.

A megacart fan made a tool http://products.genny4ever.net/updates/utils_exe____.zip
to fix checksums and sort .bin and .smd in a folder.
I suppose it will fix your problems.

------------------------

"Also the instructions were very minimal."
Yeah, sorry for that, please understand that megacart main feature is just holding buttons to boot with different megacd/segacd bioses, nothing else.
When it comes to flash games from disc or megacart.exe, it require a bit of investigating, sure.

"But this device claims to have 2000 blocks for saves. Is this only for CD games? "
Yes, there are 16 backup slots in the megacart, so you can backup up to 16 times the megacd internal ram to the megacart.
Just go in backup/restore menu, and do backup = megacd>megacart in one slot... And do Restore = megacart>megacd .
Please think twice before pressing buttons, because restore overwrite what you had in your megacd backup ram.

"I know sram saves dont work. But how do you save games other wise that are flashed to the cart? There is nothing in the instructions that show you. I mean if this site was not here I would not even have known how to make a bootable cd with my roms."
Games with SRAM wont work on megacart (or wont save), its because megacart don't have any SRAM mechanism, and playing rom is not megacart main feature. http://products.genny4ever.net/

BTW : There is a megacart review at www.sega-16.com, you may find more user-friendly infos, maybe.

Good luck

If you have any question, don't hesitate.
phonedork

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fonzie,

My roms are real bins! They were checked by the same utility you posted. The only roms that dont work are the Electronic Arts Games. I used every rom out there.

"Yeah, sorry for that, please understand that megacart main feature is just holding buttons to boot with different megacd/segacd bioses, nothing else"

If I wanted to pay 100 dollars for a system to play just other regions, then I would just use the free region converter program to change the regions and burn them to play on my sega cd. Your addvertisement claims not only play different regions, but also play back ups that you burn and make into a utility disk as well as holding 2000 blocks of saves. This is the reason I bought this and I am sure that 100% of the people who buy this product from you is doing it just for that reason.

"BTW : There is a megacart review at www.sega-16.com, you may find more user-friendly infos, maybe."

I dont get this???? Not only does the link not work but why would I need to go to another site to get info about a product that I bought from you???

"Yes, there are 16 backup slots in the megacart, so you can backup up to 16 times the megacd internal ram to the megacart.
Just go in backup/restore menu, and do backup = megacd>megacart in one slot... And do Restore = megacart>megacd "

Thanks for showing me how to do this since it was not in your instructions.

I still want to investigate more Electronics Arts games. I dont see why its just them. That program you gave me says they pass.
fonzie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I wanted to pay 100 dollars for a system to play just other regions, then I would just use the free region converter program to change the regions and burn them to play on my sega cd. Your addvertisement claims not only play different regions, but also play back ups that you burn and make into a utility disk as well as holding 2000 blocks of saves. This is the reason I bought this and I am sure that 100% of the people who buy this product from you is doing it just for that reason.

That's exactly what megacart does so far... i don't get where is the misunderstood...
phonedork

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stated...

"Yeah, sorry for that, please understand that megacart main feature is just holding buttons to boot with different megacd/segacd bioses, nothing else."

When your add shows this...

Which clearly states that not only does it read regions, but it allows you to back up roms on the sega cd, and use for a save feature. Why are you saying that all it does now is read different regions? Thats what I dont understand.

I also did not understand why you did not give a better instruction manual instead of pointing me to another site. Thats all.

As far as Electronics Arts Games it seems that any Electronic Art game that has the E.A. logo load up does not work on your mega cart. Games Electronic Arts Games like Desert Strike and Jungle Strike work fine because that E.A. logo does not load up. If knowbody has reported this then I am. I use a checksum validator to see if my checksums are correct and it appears they are. Here is the list of roms I cannot get working...

1. General Chaos
2. Mutant League FootBall and Hockey
3. Haunting Starring Polterguy
4. Madden Football Games
5. Kings Bounty
6. B.O.B

All these games have the E.A. logo and dont load up on megacart.
fonzie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody reported bugs on those games before, and i can't check at the moment what is wrong with them.

Quote:
Why are you saying that all it does now is read different regions? Thats what I dont understand.

I never said that, i said there were main and sub features,
also, if you don't use main feature, just buy a mdpro32, it is cheaper and was done to run SRAM games.

It is clearly indicated that megacart can't run up to 24MEg and SRAM games, this clearly proves that its not the ultimate cartridge to play megadrive games compared to mdpro. You don't seems to get the logic... "Megacart, the ultimate megacd/segacd cartridge".

Maybe you can try to erase all software that are in the flash cart before flashing your game, at first memory slot. It might fix.
Or you can also try to flash twice the game (one time from start bank, and one from the middle bank) if they are under 1MB.
But don't expect too much, maybe those games don't run on any flash cart either... And anyway, they can be found for cheap on ebay (i suppose you down own the original carts).

Sorry for the inconvenience and thx for reporting,

Good luck
Vlcice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're using a CDX? Can you run original cartridges of those games? If I recall, Sega updated later models of their consoles to perform security checks that locked out the early unlicensed Electronic Arts games. I would guess that the games in questions are simply incompatible with your model of Genesis.
phonedork

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the CDX cant play Electronic Arts games that are flashed? Maybe thats why. Has anybody been able to run those games I listed on megacart?

Oh and Fonzie,

I do own those games! If I could dump my own roms I would but you cant without special hardware. So I have to download somebody elses rom dump. this is the best product I have bough for my Genesis and works with all games under 24 meg and no Electronic Arts. But regardless you should send better instructions or something about this product your selling.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not I'm right depends on whether the original cartridges run on your CDX. If my guess is correct, then the originals will also fail to run.

What games in particular are you having trouble with?
phonedork

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to list the the games I do own and work fine on my CDX but not on megacart.

General Chaos
The Immortal
Populous
Faery Tale Adventure
Mutant League Hockey and Football
Madden 98
Kings Bounty

These are all Electronic Arts Games and they dont seem to work. When I plug the cartridges in they do work. So there is no blcok on my CDX. Games like Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, and Urban Strike are all Electronic Arts Games that do work, but do flash and work on megacart. But they do not load the EA logo in the beginning like the others I listed. I suspect it has something to do with the EA logo that loads up. Are you able to load these games????
fonzie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

I suspect the EA logo just do a 'illegal' checksum that go raw the 4MB of the cartridge, so it will not work on megacart. I can't confirm yet.
It would be "easy" for a hacker to remove the checksum sequence to see if it work.

Anybody interested?

Thx u for the report.

Phonedork> Can you try to flash a 1MB (8meg) game three times on the megacart (to fill the 24MEG area only with this game) and try to run the second one?

Thank you for testing this, if it work ,it confirms the checksum thing.

Fonz
phonedork

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try that Fonzie. I will flash it General Chaos three times to fill the cartridge and see what happens.

I was just trying to help by reporting this.
phonedork

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flashed General Chaos and 8 megabit game 3 times to fill the megacart and ran the 2nd one as you instructed, but it still did not work.
Wolfeman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can attest to the fact that the game B.O.B. , one of my all time favorites, DOES run on the Sega CDX and it DOES run on Tomy's MegaDrive Cart.

B.O.B. uses password saves, so it is NOT SRAM at all. as I recall it is a 2MB game, but I could be wrong about that.

-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Evermind Genesis Megacart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: