ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Wild Card DX2 DiskDual + (micro)SD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanooki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Super Wild Card DX2 DiskDual + (micro)SD? Reply with quote

Hello.

I saw the topic about the SWC DX2 + DiskDual with a CF -> IDE adapter. That's kewl Very Happy

Now I was wondering, is MicroSD -> IDE adapter possible too? Will it support it?

I figured it would, since it's just IDE... But I don't know how picky the DiskDual is about hardware?
Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect they would work fine.

CF's have the advantage of being genuine IDE devices in IDE (it's part of the CF spec). With SD's you'll be going through a 3rd party converter. Still reckon it would not be an issue.
Tanooki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:

CF's have the advantage of being genuine IDE devices in IDE (it's part of the CF spec). With SD's you'll be going through a 3rd party converter. Still reckon it would not be an issue.

For CF it's the same, it will need a third party converter too. Or does the DiskDual come with a CF adapter already?
Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l0c4lh0st wrote:
Silver wrote:

For CF it's the same, it will need a third party converter too. Or does the DiskDual come with a CF adapter already?

Yes you still need an adapter for CF->IDE, but its only wiring and 100% passive. i.e. you could simply solder wires from and IDE cable straight into a CF card and it will work. For SD-IDE, you need a 3rd party chip to convert the data. How well the IDE works depends on the chip used.

However, in the real world, there is probably not much difference as you need to buy an adapter for both.
Tanooki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
l0c4lh0st wrote:
Silver wrote:

Yes you still need an adapter for CF->IDE, but its only wiring and 100% passive. i.e. you could simply solder wires from and IDE cable straight into a CF card and it will work. For SD-IDE, you need a 3rd party chip to convert the data. How well the IDE works depends on the chip used.

However, in the real world, there is probably not much difference as you need to buy an adapter for both.

Ah, like that. So the only issue is the price...

And that's not really an issue, since:
2 GB microSD costs ~ $10 and microSD -> IDE adapter costs $12
2 GB CF costs ~ $20 and CF -> IDE adapter costs $2

So I'll just get a CF to IDE adapter, since that's known to work. Smile

Got one other question... Can I buy like *any* adapter? Or do I need one that supports some specific features? There are quite some on DealExtreme: http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.313~search.cf
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my adaptor at Fry's Electronics. I know there is some sort of parralel to CF adaptor that you can plug straight into the SWC DX2 without having to use a Disk Dual, but I don't remember which. Take a look at this:

http://www.dextrose.com/_forum/showthread.php?p=68330
Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastbayarb wrote:
I bought my adaptor at Fry's Electronics. I know there is some sort of parralel to CF adaptor that you can plug straight into the SWC DX2 without having to use a Disk Dual, but I don't remember which. Take a look at this:

http://www.dextrose.com/_forum/showthread.php?p=68330

Basically the diskdual is a parallel to IDE converter inside an external case (with room for CD/HD).

So if you can buy a parallel to IDE adapter that uses the same chip that the diskdual uses it works great. Alas the chip has not been made in *years*, and worse - only an early revision of the chip works. I have found it virtually impossible to track down
Tanooki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's exactly the reason why I went for the DiskDual. It's known to work great, it's made by FFE themselves and well, it's about the only option I had, heh.

But Silver / eastbayarb, do you say I can put any CF -> IDE adapter in the DiskDual? Smile I haven't been able to find a guide or well anything about how good the compatibility of the DiskDual is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: