ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running Jaguar ROMS from BJL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Running Jaguar ROMS from BJL Reply with quote

is this possible? how? did a through google search but no answers
missyrelm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I sent you a PM on the subject, but I should post it here too so other people can see it:

Atariage has loads of information on the subject. Also searching google for jaguar and bjl together brings up lots of stuff to wade through. The problem is sorting out the older material that talks about taking apart your Jaguar from more relatively "current" information.

Also this site has lots of stuff, including downloads of BJL software
http://www.hillsoftware.com/atari/index.html

There are a few ways to implement BJL (Behind Jagged Lines) that I know of:

Originally, they actually did a hardware mod for BJL, but that isn't really done anymore that I know of. It was a ROM hardmodded into your Jaguae that allowed you to download code from your PC to the Jaguar and run them out of RAM.

I'd ignore posts about how to do this unless you just love tinkering.

The easiest way is to use a Jaguar CD attachment and download a CD with BJL on it.
It's the cheapest way if you have a Jaguar CD.
You can download it from hillsoftware.com
AtariAge has loads of information on how to do this.

You will still need a BJL cable, that can be made or bought from More Than Games. You used to need a JagLink too, but now there are ways to do it with just the BJL cable.
The software that does not need the JagLink can be found in a link here:
http://www.jagware.org/index.php?showtopic=542

It's also possible to do this without the CD attachment, which is what my wife and I chose to do, we ordered the supplies on Tuesday!

Here is a link to me posting about using BJL without the CD attachment:
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130464&hl=bjl

My wife and I discussed getting a CD attachment or waiting for the JagCF, but we went with a more basic BJL, which we can always sell if we decide to get the CD attachment or something.

We got Protector SE game from Songbird
Atari BJL adapter from More Than Games
3 foot DB25 Male to DB25 Female cable

As for software, the BJL software only works on 95/98 computers.
We plan on trying lo_inp, which is a version that is supposed to work on XP.

Hopefully this will work! <crosses fingers>

Anyway, hope this helps!
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't just magically run ROMs from any console's work RAM. The point of any console<->PC link is to quickly test code downloaded into the system RAM without any cartridge storage. This means that the programs must fit into RAM, practically all commercial games do not. Even when they do with enough space for their variables, they would still have to be rewritten to relocate the data and variables to make room for the code. Console CD addons usually have a very small amount of buffer RAM in the cartridge memory space along with a BIOS. If any games will actually fit inside that buffer memory, it's then possible to hack games to reside there as people have done for Mega CD, PC Engine, and Neo Geo CD, but again it must be hacked.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
You can't just magically run ROMs from any console's work RAM. The point of any console<->PC link is to quickly test code downloaded into the system RAM without any cartridge storage. This means that the programs must fit into RAM, practically all commercial games do not. Even when they do with enough space for their variables, they would still have to be rewritten to relocate the data and variables to make room for the code. Console CD addons usually have a very small amount of buffer RAM in the cartridge memory space along with a BIOS. If any games will actually fit inside that buffer memory, it's then possible to hack games to reside there as people have done for Mega CD, PC Engine, and Neo Geo CD, but again it must be hacked.

I figured as much. I just haven't figured a way of loading ROMS of Jag games on any hardware. Some have suggested the flash carts can do this and though I have one and read documentation, I haven't figured a way to load ROMS.
missyrelm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in other words, the setup I'm getting in the mail won't work. Confused

I don't understand the more technical details, but several people on Atariage said that this should work when I posted about this setup, including someone working on the JagCF.

I'm confused.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread:
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130464&hl= ?

You asked if it was suitable for homebrew, they assume you are writing your own... When you write your own software, it's not a problem for it to be located in RAM, since you will write it with that constraint in mind. This will not let you playback commercial games or even other people's homebrew necessarily without modification if their homebrew is meant for cartridges.
missyrelm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I feel stupid now, I've researched this for almost a year, and didn't catch that until *2 days* after I finally order stuff Embarassed

A least I get the Protector SE game out it. I've always loved Defender, so that parts cool, but its painful to mis-spend that much money Sad
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really the only hope for loading commercial ROMS on anything at this point is to somehow figure out how to properly transfer them to a flashcard. I had no problem loading homebrew on mine, but commercial ROMS just don't work.
missyrelm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ordered the BJL setup, I wasn't planning on using it to play commercial roms, I have a cart of one of the main reasons I bought a Jaguar: Tempest 2000, and was going to get carts for Alien Vs Predator, Rayman and Defender 2000, which were pretty much the only commercial games that I really wanted to play.

I didn't realise that homebrew for the Jag was also mostly on cartridges, I thought BJL was the main way to play homebrew, which is why I specifically asked about homebrew on AtariAge.

I'm a lucky man, my wife is into this stuff too, and we had both looked into this so I didn't have to explain why the money that we just spent that I said would let us play and support a famous homebrew scene won't do that.

So I guess what I really wanted was one of the really rare Jaguar flashcards, since you say they play homebrew just fine.

Now that I know this about BJL, I can find stuff about it not playing cartridge games all over atariage, don't know how we managed to miss that Sad

From what Ive read, its less an issue of homebrew vs commercial roms as it is cart based games vs RAM-based games.
http://www.atariage.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t21337.html

In the spirit of trying to turn lemons into lemonade, we've been looking for a list of RAM-based games that will work with BJL, but haven't found a list yet... Time for more searching on AtariAge.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can a Jaguar CD system be used to transfer homebrew to a flash cart?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but you'd have to load a program into RAM with the BJL thing, remove the cartridge/CD unit with the system on (this won't damage most consoles but I dunno about the Jaguar), put the flashcart in, then write the flash via the PC. I don't know the specifics of your flashcart though or anything technical about the Jaguar, so your mileage may vary if there's any issues of protection or if the flashcart doesn't allow the console to write data back to the cart.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
Yes, but you'd have to load a program into RAM with the BJL thing, remove the cartridge/CD unit with the system on (this won't damage most consoles but I dunno about the Jaguar), put the flashcart in, then write the flash via the PC. I don't know the specifics of your flashcart though or anything technical about the Jaguar, so your mileage may vary if there's any issues of protection or if the flashcart doesn't allow the console to write data back to the cart.

You need a PC for the flashcart anyways (it has a parallel port and requires that the Jag be on with the flascart inside and then run a command line program on the PC to upload the data to the flashcart, and press buttons on the Jag controller). What I was wondering is if it was possible to burn some homebrew on a CD, and load it onto the flascart without needing a PC.

I have an Atari Flashcart as seen here (actual picture of MY flashcart) :http://www.jaguarsector.com/index.php?showtopic=13290&st=30&start=30

Here is a link to the software for this particular unit: http://www.starcat-dev.de/subdomains/atari-jaguar64/soft_hardware/development_items/flash/flash_d.html

according to the spec of the flashcart I have, it is either 4mb or 6mb which is enough for pretty much every commercial ROM
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your cart is 32M. Since it has a BIOS, that must be what's preventing you from running commercial games. Commercial games either have a different memory map entirely because they don't have that BIOS, or the BIOS won't let you start commercial games on your system, or the game detects something is up.

In a true commercial game, there are only a couple standard ROMs and an EEPROM for saving: http://nintendoallstars.w.interia.pl/romlab/jag_front.jpg

No special parts indicates that it should be possible to make a RAM/Flash cart like the Megacart that works in conjunction with the CD drive, provided you can access the RAM/Flash when the CD part is functioning or at least switch between them in software. Beyond the Jaguar specifics, it's the same theory as any other copier.

Last edited by kyuusaku on Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
Your cart is 32M. Since it has a BIOS, that must be what's preventing you from running commercial games. Commercial games either have a different memory map entirely, or the BIOS won't let you start commercial games on your system, or the game detects something is up.

In a true commercial game, there are only multiple ROMs creating a 32-bit data bus and an EEPROM for saving, no other parts: http://nintendoallstars.w.interia.pl/romlab/jag_front.jpg

No special parts indicates that it should be possible to make a RAM/Flash cart like the Megacart that works in conjunction with the CD drive, provided you can access the RAM/Flash when the CD part is functioning or at least switch between them in software. Beyond the Jaguar specifics, it's the same theory as any other copier.

good info. since info on this Flashcart of mine is scarce beyond the link I provided, I am still at a loss as to how to get commercial ROMS to work on this thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: