ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB to DB25 male parallel cable work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: USB to DB25 male parallel cable work? Reply with quote

Does anyone know or has anyone actually tried a USB to parallel cable with the super flasher programmer? I don't want to risk damaging it but I'm also not even sure if it would work.

I was thinking of something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-RS232-Adapter-DB25-Male-to-DB9-Female-Plug-PC_W0QQitemZ150308743496QQihZ005QQcategoryZ41993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they will not work. BTW, that isn't even a printer port adapter, it's a serial port adapter.
BansheeX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not a good decision to use the parallel interface. This is a dying legacy port that rarely comes equipped on modern motherboards. I personally use a new mini-itx setup that has no port and no means of expansion except for that usb converter cable. If that doesn't work, I'm screwed unless I keep a junky old computer on hand which I really don't have room for.

I hope we see USB products in the future, but it sounds like whoever started the businesses is gone and there will be no future products. I suppose I'll have to go back to using a slow-ass copier and floppy disks, because at least I can get a USB floppy drive.
misere

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was a serial cable.

Wonder if this one works?

Ebay item

If this page won't display, item number is: 290340623946

My new PC has no parralel port, if this is not working, i'll try a pci parralel device.

Does anyone know something about it??
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BansheeX wrote:
It was not a good decision to use the parallel interface. This is a dying legacy port that rarely comes equipped on modern motherboards.

I hope we see USB products in the future, but it sounds like whoever started the businesses is gone and there will be no future products. I suppose I'll have to go back to using a slow-ass copier and floppy disks, because at least I can get a USB floppy drive.

The reason Parallel Port was used is that it is easier and probably costs less. While some people like yourself do have the problem with not having a computer with a parallel port anymore or have trouble using it, it's not as big of an issue as you think. There are tons of old PCs out there that will do the job and are cheap.

Yes it'd be nice if they were all USB, but they're not. Maybe sometime in the future.

You'd have to ask Tomy if he knows of any future products that he can tell you about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: