ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game Doctor SF3 Floppy Trouble (disk error wcm)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Games4me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Game Doctor SF3 Floppy Trouble (disk error wcm) Reply with quote

my GD sf3 gives an error (Disk Error (RSDT) or Disk Error (WCM) or no error at all until I try and read a disk) and the floppy drive won't work.if i wait a minute with the power plug unplugged and plug back in it seems to work as the drive activates and the screen shows 1.44 mb drive.but when i try to read the drive within these few seconds it gives the error and the drive does nothing and usually errors automaticly after 20 seconds or so anyway.after powering down and back on right away it gives the same error instantly unless i power off and disconnect the power cable for a minute.my power adapter is the max it will take 12vdc 1.5A center negitive for the gd-sf3.genesis adapter gave same error results.i have tried different ribbon cables,powered the drive from a pc power supply and also tried a different drive from a pc with same error.the different pc drive also detects 1.44 just like the original but gets the same error the same way the original does.everything else works as i can load a cart into memory and run.

there is another post from someone who had simular issues but it never ended with a fix or anything.

http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1357

the post decribed that the floppy power running from a contact on the extra memory connector that was maybe shorted or something.i disconnected that from the board so there was no pins shorted together and used a seperate pc power supply for the drive and got the same results.the the extra memory was also usable with no errors after unshorting the 2 pins.i will reconnect since it doesn't seem to be the problem.my gd-sf3 drive is a mitsumi model D359T5 5volt and dosn't look like the drive in the pic in this other post.

i don't think its the floppy drive that is bad since it seems to work for a few seconds,although it won't access any data before error.the seperate pc drive gave same results also.

so is it the drive,the floppy controller chip or maybe somthing else?

i got this copier in this condition and still thinking about buying another copier,but if there is an easy fix.i am good with a soldering iron and also have a pro iron that sucks the solder while your soldering.maybe i can get another floppy controller chip and solder it in or something easy.

any help will be great.
Games4me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after testing the voltage coming out of the voltage regulator it came up with almost 1 volt.im supposed to be getting 5v so im assuming the VR is not working correctly.im going to look into a new VR.im not good with electronics components and such but can i just hook up a 5v adapter and bypass the VR or would this fry things if the milla amps or something wasn't correct.i would like to at least test to see if sufficient power will make the copier work before trying to hunt down a VR,if i can even find one.
Games4me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found some genesis 2 vr parts on ebay with the same vr numbers.they put out 5volts and i ordered the only 2 he had maybe i can have a spare or put one in as a seperate regulator for the floppy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: