ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips on replacing original SWC DX & SMD copier batteries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Tips on replacing original SWC DX & SMD copier batteries Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone made a quick tutorial on how to replace the original batteries in these copiers with less problematic coin cell holders.

I know it's probably a simple task for many people on here, but I don't have much electronics knowledge and really don't want to ruin my original SWC DX.. it's lasted this long! The batteries on both my SWC DX and SMD are leaking pretty badly, but still work. I just don't want it to eat through the boards.

If there is no tutorial on this, I would be happy with some tips...
Which coin cell holders do you recommend?
Will they fit exactly the way the original does or do I need to modify something else?
Once the holder is in place do I just use standard CR2032 3.3volt batteries? Is there any chance this can cause damage to my copiers?

Thanks guys.

bigjohn6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first bit of advice would be to get the leaking batteries off the boards......LIKE YESTERDAY !!! Cut the legs with fine ended cutters if you can't solder.
Read a tutorial on soldering (google one ) and get some practice in on an old PC motherboard or similar.
You can get a suitable coin cell holder for CR2032's from MAPLIN'S....you have to bend the legs slightly to fit......and make sure you solder on to match the polarity on the board ( + to + and - to - ). If you don't feel competant soldering get your local tv repair man or similar to do this for you.
regards....
bigjohn Wink
p.s. you could always replace the original batteries with similar modern ones from MAPLIN'S....they last years without leaking again !!!
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjohn6 wrote:
My first bit of advice would be to get the leaking batteries off the boards......LIKE YESTERDAY !!! Cut the legs with fine ended cutters if you can't solder.
Read a tutorial on soldering (google one ) and get some practice in on an old PC motherboard or similar.
You can get a suitable coin cell holder for CR2032's from MAPLIN'S....you have to bend the legs slightly to fit......and make sure you solder on to match the polarity on the board ( + to + and - to - ). If you don't feel competant soldering get your local tv repair man or similar to do this for you.
regards....
bigjohn Wink
p.s. you could always replace the original batteries with similar modern ones from MAPLIN'S....they last years without leaking again !!!

I have soldered modchips on psx and xbox consoles before so the soldering isn't a problem. I just want to be sure I am getting the right parts and hopefully I can tell which is + and which is - on the old and new battery (coin cell holder).

I assume this part is ok, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3060977 . Keep in mind. I am in the US and there are Radio Shacks all over the place here.

bigjohn6

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi....the part/holder looks good to me,they are pretty standard.....
when you take the old ni-cad off the board sketch which end is + and which is - ....... if the holder is not maked it is a simple matter of looking at the coin cell markings and working them out from them when the cell is inserted into the holder .....
hope this helps....
bigjohn Wink

p.s. super ufo pro drives use CR2032's to store SRAM.
I assume you know that the backup units should function normally with the batteries removed ? It's just that you won't be able to save your game progress. Rolling Eyes
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just one detail: if the original battery is a Ni-Cd, it means it was designed to be recharged whereas CR2032 are not rechargeable. Somebody told me to put a diode to avoid the current flowing back to the battery...and it does make sense, right?
bigjohn6

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi m8....logic says you are right Embarassed ......must have a look inside the super ufo on the board.....
The diode will certainly only let the current flow one way i.e FROM the battery if fitted the right way round Rolling Eyes

bigjohn Wink
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John. Well, I actually happen to have 3 UFO pro 6 boards next to me and as I'm looking at it, there is no diode but on the other hand they have been conceived with a CR2032, so without the need of being recharged...

bigjohn6

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your input Merlin......so a diode would serve his purpose by the look of it ?

Regards....

bigjohn Wink

p.s. a modern replacement battery (3.6V 80mAh NI-MH ) in place of the old NI-CAD would be the easy solution and would not leak again for years Rolling Eyes ........
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mystic_Merlin"]Hi John. Well, I actually happen to have 3 UFO pro 6 boards next to me and as I'm looking at it, there is no diode but on the other hand they have been conceived with a CR2032, so without the need of being recharged...

Thanks for the info. So I don't have to worry about adding a diode on the SWC DX and SMD boards? The problem is the battery is so corroded that I can't see the + or - on it. Do they normally have the + on top (I figure the top is aligned with the text underneath it). Sorry for all the questions, but I really don't want to harm my SWC DX. It's been good to me over the years. Smile

Sorry for the large picture.. I can't seem to get the [thumb] bbcode to work Razz

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell for sure regarding the polarity but if you look at the writings, most probably the top of the battery is negative, as it is with my profighter.

regarding the diode, I don't believe there's much risk if you don't put it...at worse the battery will explode Embarassed

if you wanna be secure, you would want to go step by step:
- solder some temporary wires and keep the CR2032 taped out of the SWC
- try to save a game, switch on/off...see if it works
- connect the diode in serie (which side? follow the traces on your PCB and make choice...then cross your fingers Laughing ) with your temporary setup to see if it works and try it for a couple of days...

if everything is ok then you can solder the CR2032 holder and the diode properly in the case...
That's what I would do...doesn't mean that I'm right Rolling Eyes
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
I can't tell for sure regarding the polarity but if you look at the writings, most probably the top of the battery is negative, as it is with my profighter.

regarding the diode, I don't believe there's much risk if you don't put it...at worse the battery will explode Embarassed

if you wanna be secure, you would want to go step by step:
- solder some temporary wires and keep the CR2032 taped out of the SWC
- try to save a game, switch on/off...see if it works
- connect the diode in serie (which side? follow the traces on your PCB and make choice...then cross your fingers Laughing ) with your temporary setup to see if it works and try it for a couple of days...

if everything is ok then you can solder the CR2032 holder and the diode properly in the case...
That's what I would do...doesn't mean that I'm right Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try. Which type of diode would I need to buy? I believe I have some 1amp diodes left over from my PS2 mods.

I really figured this would be a pretty common modification for SWC owners. I guess they just aren't seeing my post. Razz

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, a SWC owner who did the mod would be the most appropriate person to help you out but I guess they're all sleeping...and now is my turn Smile

I believe any type of 1N4xxx would work.

Good luck and let me know if it worked.

PS: impressive collection on you site Cool
Jagasian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be to replace the 3.6V ni-cad battery with a battery holder capable of holding three AAA batteries in series. Recently released rechargable NiMH batteries that come pre-charged are designed to hold a charge for a longer time than traditional NiMH batteries. Rayovac calls their new NiMH series "Hybrid", and Sony calls them "eneloop". Rechargable AAA batteries are 1.2V, so three of them in series totals to 3.6V.

The benefit of this approach is that you can buy new NiMH rechargable AAA batteries from a local retailer, they will hold a charge longer than smaller 3.6V NiMH batteries, and batteries can easily be removed for storage or replacement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: