ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mega CD (Japan)/Sega CD (US) import game Converter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arromdee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Mega CD (Japan)/Sega CD (US) import game Converter Reply with quote

Some of these were released back in the day as the CD Key and Pro-CDX, but nowadays they're virtually impossible to find. The only alternative is a multi-BIOS but that requires soldering 40 pins.

I have no idea if you could make these cheaply enough that they would be less than the cost of buying a second system for imports. Maybe doing it as a boot disk instead of a cartridge would be cheaper, since opinion seems to be that that is possible.
Flop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can try looking for the rom of the cartridge and flash the Genesis 64M Flash Cart with it.
arromdee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that depends on exactly how the device works. If it's done purely in software and just calls some CD BIOS routines in order to boot up the disk, it should work. If there's special hardware in the cartridge, it won't. I don't currently have either a flash cart or a foreign Mega CD disk, so I can't try it.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried but I speculate that they're purely software. Alternatively, to perfectly play every game, you could put in a switchable BIOS by controlling the last few address pins of a ROM.
arromdee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
I haven't tried but I speculate that they're purely software. Alternatively, to perfectly play every game, you could put in a switchable BIOS by controlling the last few address pins of a ROM.

There is a hacked BIOS you can use that will of course play every game. The trouble is having to solder the 40 pins. I don't trust myself to do that (especially on a Sega CD 2).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not so much a hacked bios, its more like a bios chip with all three regions burned onto it. You select which region you want with a switch. And its not so difficult ot install, you dont need to solder ALL 40 pins. You get a socket which fits over your existing bios chip, and you only need to solder each corner (or as many as you want). Then the special eeprom chip just plugs onto the socket. Also various wires are soldered to the socket that go to the mainboard/old bios/switches and thats it. Its not too bad at all, and walks all over a boot disc. You just set your switches, and the appropiate region is selected and any game will boot. WELL worth the money!
DjoeN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have my megacd 1 modded with the hacked bios (eeprom)

Took me less then 30 minutes todo, and it works awesome.

However doing it on a megacd 2 (or segacd 2)will take you around 1 hour or more, cause of the damned f**king layout. you can't reach the other row to solder the pinson, so you have to push it on the old one and hope nothing moves. i managed to solder a few pins so it sits nice and doesn't move, but it was a pain in tha ass Wink

Anyway, the best thing is.

Take an iso from you original and use segaconv (or whatever the tool is called) to change the country (ok, does not work on all games)

the megacd/segacd does not know cd protection so your copy will run after burning it to a CD-R (keep in mind burning at a lower speed and on good media)
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you don't need to solder/desolder both ROMs, just pull up the PROM's /OE and make it HI then you can just "piggyback" your new BIOS.

The Multi-BIOS project thats sold by Arakon is hacked. Region protection was removed so that you can run the JP/US/EU BIOS on any console, also the title screens were hacked (horribly.) I'm currently redumping all my Mega/Sega CD consoles' BIOS for my own, graphics-intact 8M version :) Still need to get a dump of Arakon's crap so I can steal his deprotection code.
timofonic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to make the Multi-Bios ?
timofonic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news?

Do you asked in SegaXtreme?
DjoeN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only way i know is to buy it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or to hack it yourself and burn it.
Suppafly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a guy named Arakon that sells multi-bios. He used to be a member of segaxtreme but he left that site.

Now you can find him on vgrebirth.org or that website´s IRC channel on efnet (channel name: vgrebirth).

Good luck

thecollector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Arakons bios is hacked to remove region protection. I have his chip installed in my model 1, and say I select USA region ok, PAL or JAP games wont run. They just go to the music screen as any normal sega cd would. If the region protection was removed, whats the point of having switches to select a region. You would just install the chip and that would be it. But Arakons is different, you HAVE to select the region of the game you have or it just wont run. And also the bios screens are NOT hacked. You are just looking at the picyures on his website. When I installed the chip, all 3 bios region screens are IDENTICAL to the standard ones.They DONT have his name or any other shit on them. (at least the chip he sent me didnt!). For those interested, he has a website with a full tutorial and his email link, and its not difficult to find at all. His chip is much recommended!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> New Product idea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: