ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FDS 3206 Drive Half/Full mod different ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> NES/Famicom Disk System Hardware Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: FDS 3206 Drive Half/Full mod different ? Reply with quote

Half mod mean only mod power board. So, it can not re-write full disk.
Full mod also mod drive controller board. (This board have 3206 chip on it)
It can re-write full disk.

What half mod useful ? I can tell is that all copier user must use this. It will let drive load game > 64K better. (e.g. Doctor 6+ game)

Why half mod can run Copy Master and can copy full disk ?
Ha, this question's answer not many people know for sure.

It is because people use Copy Master hacked version. It bypass the first protect block. Then copy remain blocks.

So, seems it can copy full disk, but it is not. It is not good if you like thing perfect. Because the cloned disk will have two speed on it. The first block is copy by other drive. So, its speed is different than other block. (Other block is copy by your drive)

How to prove half mod can not re-write full disk ?
It is easy. If you have magnet, you can use it to touch the disk surface. (Only touch the area you can see on the disk is enough) It will make disk completely dead. Or you have disk completely blank. (when it just come out from factory). Then I'm sure your half mod drive can not copy game to this disk.

I think not many company like tototek sell 3206 Full Modded FDS drive.
Take care, half mod can not use for MGD1 and Original Copy Master v1.1
You should ask before buy if you like Full Modded version.

3206 half mod can not do:

1) Can not copy data over completely dead disk.
2) First track speed is different (not 100% 1:1 copy)
3) Can not use it for original Copy Master 1.0/1.1
4) Can not use it for MGD1

7201 drive half modded = Full modded.
Because 7201 drive board no need to hack.

Below is how full mod look like.

Last edited by Tomy on Tue May 24, 2011 9:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
rbudrick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Take care, half mod can not use for MGD1 and Original Copy Master v1.1

Hi Tomy,

Do you mean some hacked (not original) Copy Master versions can copy disks with the half mod?

-Rob
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he's saying that with the hacked Copy Master you can rewrite disks but you cannot rewrite the first block which has the *NINTENDO-HVC* string and maybe some other data that is generally the same on disks.

So if you have a working disk, and you use half-mod with hacked copy master you could change it to another game. But due to differences between the original drive that wrote the disk and the one that rewrote "most" of the disk you may have problems. And that if the disk's first block got damaged then you can't use the disk at all with the half-mod.

So it's like with the half mod you can rewrite 99% of the disk, but not a critical 1% at the beginning. You may get away with not being able to rewrite this block if it's intact.
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, MottZilla tell what I want to say. And his english is much better than me. I can't explain too clear, sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> NES/Famicom Disk System Hardware Info All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: