ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

doubts about Game Doctor SF6
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrogamer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded and unzipped the file, transfered it to a floppy that was formatted with game doctor first.

The game doctor was able to see the file "SF8SPR", but it will only load up to 75% and it stops and shows disk error.

When I was going to delete the file using the game doctor I notice there is another file beside "SF8SPR", but it's name consists of some random symbols. Does anyone know why does this happens?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It sounds like your Disk Drive is having problems. Try this.

Format several floppy disks to 1.44MB in your GD drive.

Copy the file onto your disks. If possible use more than one PC to copy the file to the disks and note which disks were written to from which PC.

Another thing is to be sure the GD has enough power. I usually used a Sega Genesis Model 1 power supply which is 9V DC at 1.2amps. Don't use higher voltages as that just makes for more heat which is bad.

I had disk reading problems with my GDSF3 before I sold it. I recall hearing about some fault in the design that made it prone to disk drive problems and someone had modded theirs to fix it but I don't have the details.
retrogamer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some other old games in other floppies that have no problem loading at all though.

I have tried different disks that were formatted from the GD drive and using different PC/laptop writing on the floppies, but still no luck.

My GD AC to DC power adapter is original, so I don't think there is a voltage problem.

I do know that when I try to read the old games (known good) on my PC, it doesn't appear in the "window explorer" and it shows there is nothing in the drive (I am using a USB floppy drive, it's the only floppy drive I have). Would it be a different format that I need beside GD3?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is likely your problem. Newer versions of windows write to floppy disks oddly. Write your floppy disks with an older computer running windows XP or older and you will probably have no issues. Preferably write them with an internal floppy drive, not a USB drive.

The GD3 ROM format is the format you need. The Disk Format is just a standard FAT volume but as I said, newer versions of Windows are funky. Try formatting disks in the Game Doctor Drive and transfer the file to them with a PC or laptop with and internal floppy drive while running windows xp or older.

This seems likely the case if you still have games on old floppies that load just fine.
retrogamer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My laptop is running window XP, and I have done everything from scratch. The only possible thing that can cause issue is the USB floppy drive that I have.

Even though the USB floppy drive might be a problem, I still don't understand why window XP can't see the file from my working old floppy games, but able to see the output game file from uCON64?

I have been spending days trying to get this to work, but at this point, I have no hope unless I go out and get a new PC and load it with an old operating system with an internal floppy drive to eliminate all the possible issues.

I guess I will have to call it quit and put everything away unless something or someone else knows exactly what the problem is. Thanks for all your help, hope someone/some day there will be an answer for this.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason isn't the File Format. It's the Floppy Disk format. Something with newer devices either USB Floppy Drives or newer Windows operating systems don't read and write them quite the same which causes these odd problems. If you use a regular, internal floppy disk drive, and a classic operating system, XP should do, then you should be able to read your old disks and make disks your GD can read.

I know it seems like alot of problems but once you get it worked out then it's all sorted out and you can enjoy playing games.

To give you a suggestion, just go ANYWHERE where you can get on a PC with a built in floppy drive, possibly even a library. Bring a CD or USB stick with you to be able to copy the file onto a fresh floppy and then go try it out. You could also test by bringing one of your old but working disks with you just to see if the computer will read it and see the files.

Again I already said not to use a USB drive. There is a good chance it also has issues with how it writes and reads disks. These issues other people have encountered too. The solution is simple which is to use the correct hardware. PC with an internal Floppy Drive while running an older OS if needed. Personally I bought an old cheap laptop that I put Windows 98 on and I use it for writing floppy disks as well as using the parallel port tools.
retrogamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! I did what MottZilla suggested and put the game in a USB flash drive and brought it to work (there is an ancient computer there that uses window xp and has an internal floppy drive) and transfer it to the floppy disks I had formatted previously in my GD. And it's working; my GD will load the game perfectly!

I am so glad that it turned out I have done everything right on the conversion all along after all, and the issue was only the USB floppy drive.

Thank you very much for all your help MottZilla. BTW, I am just wondering what was the game that you uploaded for me anyways?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game is called Spriggan Powered. I just picked it since I had it around and it would fit on one disk.

I'm glad you got all the problems solved. Enjoy the GDSF3. It's a great device to have.
retrogamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I also found that there were some SMC files that had problem to begin with and that's why it would load properly.

The main game that I am trying to play is the "shodai nekketsu kouha kunio-kun" with the english patch. I was able to find the game and the patch, But everytime after I apply the patch and convert it to GD3 file, it ends up not working. Does anyone know why or where I can get a working patched file?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be because the english patched version is 9 megabits which is not normal. Try this: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B03IZRWD

You will need two disks or a 1.6MB formatted disk to put it on. Hopefully it'll work for you.
retrogamer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, the game works perfectly!! I've been wanting to play this in english for years.

Thanks to you MottZilla, now I can finally check that off my list. You've been a great help all along and I am thankful that you helped me while I know you probably have many other things you could do instead.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the game and the Game Doctor. I had a blast with my GDSF3 and later my GDSF7. I think in the modern age of flash carts people underestimate the usefulness of cheap older Copiers. They may take a bit more effort to use but they still play the games well and usually for much less money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: