ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did this MGD2 Hardware exists?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henning

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Did this MGD2 Hardware exists? Reply with quote

Hello,

i seen this in advertising from Bung but never in real so the Question is was this ever available to the Public?

I mean the DRAM Version of the MGD2 PCE Adapter...

MGD2-PCE-DRAM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.87 KB
 Viewed:  3283 Time(s)

MGD2-PCE-DRAM.jpg

madman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not only never seen it in person, but I've also never seen it listed in MGD2 parts lists back in the 90s. Was probably just a mock up of a product that never was released. There wasn't really a need for anything beyond the PCE SRAM adapter.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
I've not only never seen it in person, but I've also never seen it listed in MGD2 parts lists back in the 90s. Was probably just a mock up of a product that never was released. There wasn't really a need for anything beyond the PCE SRAM adapter.

Very true. But if you had a 32mb DRAM pack for this kind of adapter, you could play Street Fighter II which required 20mb.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the interface supported SF2CE's mapper. I seem to recall SF2CE and the Arcade Card are the only ones that possess more than 8 megabits of memory as I think that is all a regular HuCard can address but I'm not certain on that.

Then it's the same silly case though, why would you make a new very expensive device to play 1 game. Same as Genesis copiers and SSF2.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't exist.

The MGD2 debuted in 1991, at the time I believe the largest PCE games were still only 4M. And yup the HuCard ROM was decoded to 8M of the address space which makes 8M the upper limit for HuCard games without bankswitching, Bung knew this and they couldn't foretell SFII' because it was released 3 YEARS later. So at the time it would have been assumed the 8M SRAM card was sufficient, because it was/is; the only benefit to a DRAM I/O would have been storing 4 games at a time. Since the PCE wasn't as popular as the MD much less the SFC it's not really surprising only SRAM PCE/SGX adapters were released (SRAM adapters came out first). Even if the I/O came out after SFII' I still don't think the bankswitching would have been supported; the added bankswitching (and disable) logic wouldn't be worth it for a one-off game (the I/O shells reuse the same custom chips to keep costs down), though if there was a game they'd do it for it'd certainly have been SFII, but not on the PCE...
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "prototype" looks real enough...too bad!

What are the hardware differences between the PCE and SGX SRAM adapters?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a difference. In fact the only differences between SRAM I/O are the plastic shells, edge connectors, save RAM decoding for MD and SFC and bankswitching for GB and GG. I'm not sure about the DRAM I/O, they might each have unique hardware since DRAM refresh is tied to the bus timing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: