ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CD64 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: CD64 questions Reply with quote

It's been more than 10 years since I lastly turned my CD64 on. As I got a couple of 32MB EDO SIMMS lately, I decided to do the upgrade.

I've never been a big fan of the N64. Actually I went all the way down to the Golden Shopping Center in HK to get my CD64 back in 199x when it was just released but got soon disappointed with the overall quality of the games. Good thing that there was a demo scene and internet on the rise at that time...

Still, to this day I have a few unanswered questions that I'm sure some of you might help me with:
- I read on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD64_(Nintendo) and http://n64.icequake.net/cd64help.html that the ram was "glued" or could come loose. My unit is using a standard SIMM socket and seats very tightly. It took 30 secs just to swap the RAM. Are later units designed differently? Any pic?
- Although most games are loading fine, the most annoying thing on this unit is the CD access timing as you need to make several attempts for the drive to turn fast and stable enough to access the TOC and read the files. I read that the results could depend on the CD64 BIOS's ATAPI driver compatibility. Is there more information on this, like a list of known brands to work properly?
- What's the difference between the Pro Comms Link and the Parallel Adaptor? Is the Pro Comms Link some ISA card to put in a PC?

Thanks Wink
madman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the pro comms link was an ISA card for PCs. Obviously quite dated today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: