ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snes Wildcard SMS3201 Help!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beaps

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Snes Wildcard SMS3201 Help!! Reply with quote

Hi All,

I got a SNES wildcard (Pal) and I have a US Snes. When I hoock it all up I just get a black screen.

Any ideas on how I can get this to work?

Ta
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try putting a US cartridge in the SWC. It might boot then. If it doesn't, you may need the CIC chip in the SWC changed for a NTSC CIC chip.
Beaps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried it with a US cart in still the same outcome.

How would I change the chip thing?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside of a SNES cartridge is a small chip with 16 pins (8 on each side) called a CIC. On the PCB board it should be labeled CIC. The chip should say Nintendo on it. I think D411 might be on the NTSC version.

So basically what you have to do is open the SWC. Find the PAL CIC (also should be 16 pins and say Nintendo on it) and you need to remove it and replace it with a NTSC CIC from one of your crappy US game cartridges.

If the chip is not in a socket, you will have to desolder it. The game cartridge you'll have to desolder the CIC as well. If you aren't experienced in soldering you should not attempt this and instead get someone to help you. If you can solder and desolder properly this is not a big deal.

I am not experienced with the SWC series but I have heard that there might be a jumper somewhere which would be easier to change to make it use the CIC from the cart slot instead of the internal one.

Alternatively you could modify your SNES to be able to disable the lockout chip. Doing this would allow the SWC to boot up. However you would be unable to play SA-1 chip games from real cartridges unless you add a switch to enable and disable the lockout chip that way.
Beaps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help - I got the chip out of an old cart no probs.

But I cant find where to put it on the wildcard

here is a pic

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very carefully, remove the RAM board or try to look under it for a 16 pin chip. It may be hiding underneath. You can also see there are jumpers on the left. Unfortunately without a manual I would not advise changing them. But with the proper setting it might allow for booting with the Cart CIC rather than the on board one. First check under the RAM board for the CIC. Remember to discharge yourself of any static electricity and work in a proper area so you do not damage the copier.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you do anything, from what I've read you could try this with the jumpers. Move each jumper over 1 spot. So instead of I:I:I:, it will look like :I:I:I

Then put a US cart in the Cart slot and see if it boots on your US SNES. It could save you having to solder on your SWC. I researched this a bit to help you out and that's what I found. Let me know if it works.

Update: Further reading tells me that the chip in the top left ST10198P IS the pirate CIC chip. It is the PAL version. The NTSC version would have a S rather than P. Remove it and put the NTSC CIC from the cartridge in the socket and you should be in business.
Beaps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

\i have just moved the jumpers &.....Its worked!!!

You the man THANKS!!
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. And remember if you would rather not have a cartridge in for it to work just swap out the ST10198 chip for the CIC from a cartridge. To remove it from the socket just gently pry it up equally from both ends and then gently but firmly push down the new chip after ensures all the pins are lining up with the socket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: