ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parallel to USB adapter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmwc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Parallel to USB adapter Reply with quote

Has anybody ever used this on any dumping equipment? I have newer PC's and none of them have parallel ports. I could go buy a scrap one from the local recycling center for 54 USD if necessary. However I was curious to hear if anybody had any luck with the parallel to USB adapters with things like Game Doctor SF7, N64 Game Shark, GameBoy game dumpers etc.

Thanks =)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do not work. The USB Parallel Converters are meant for Printers that used the Parallel port primarily.
wmwc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh right on. I'll have to try to find a slim tower scrap at the recycling center. They give you a free copy of windows xp, legitimate. Which is nice all for 54 USD. I'll get on that in a couple of months.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wmwc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering does it matter what type of parallel port it is? I know a lot of the new ones are pink, old ones are grey. Is it acceptable so long as it is a 25-pin connector that is bi-directional? I am looking at buying a Dell Optiplex GX620, it looks to be the newest/cheapest computer I can find with a parallel port. Does that seem like a good solution?

Edit: Only reason I ask is because they are advertised/labeled as "printer port." I'm sure they function the same way as the older ones. I just felt like it was a good idea to sak.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need it to support EPP mode probably. There are many modes, SPP, EPP, ECP, ECP + SPP, etc. Products listed on the Tototek website mention the mode required sometimes.
wmwc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All it says is 25-pin bi-directional. I'm almost positive that encompasses all modes. No worries I suppose =)
"There is as much chance of repealing the eighteenth amendment [alcohol prohibition] as there is for a hummingbird to fly to the planet Mars with the Washington Monument tied to its tail." (1930) -Texas Senator Morris Sheppard
system64

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wmwc wrote:
All it says is 25-pin bi-directional. I'm almost positive that encompasses all modes. No worries I suppose =)

DELL doesn't support EPP mode.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bi-directional is NOT at all the same as ECP, EPP, etc. It's something else. I have an older laptop with that mode and it will not work with EPP devices.
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not enough room to state all the problems with Dell... custom cases, custom cables, custom mother boards, non-standard ports...

My dad keeps buying Dell, which then breaks down fairly quickly. He then asks me to fix it knowing how handy I am at computers... and I keep telling him it's a god-dammed f---ing Dell! You have two choices - send it back to Dell, or toss it in the trash. I pull the memory, drives, and CPU (and video card if it has one) and throw the rest away. Even the damn (internal) USB uses a custom cable. I can't tell you how many people I know who blow their Dell mobo or a USB device trying to use a standard (internal) USB cable on a Dell.

They're not even that cheap anymore. I can put together a new system from standard parts from some place like NewEgg for less. The only thing I can recommend from Dell in the last decade are their monitors, and even those are more expensive than the competition, but they're at least better than their PCs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: