ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SMS pause button mod for the super magic drive , it work!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gogo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: SMS pause button mod for the super magic drive , it work!! Reply with quote

Hi all,
I was looking for a long time a mod for adding a pause button in sms games on the smd , because some sms games are almost unplayable without this function like alex kidd in miracle world (you can't access to the item menu).

I finally found the solution on the SpritesMind.net board with the help of KRIKzz (the creator of the everdrive ).
You just have to connect a pushing switch with a 100 ohm resistor to the pin B11 (address 23) not used by the smd and the second switch connection to the ground :pin A01 or A32 .

it work perfectly ! tested on a 16 and 24 meg SMD Wink

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this. I'll definitely give it a try. Actually I was reading some docs from Charles Mc Donald about transferring roms via parallel port and why SMS roms were not working this way as the SMD is expecting 68000 code in this mode.
So first I'm gonna finish that custom made floppy drive Wink
gogo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think at his time, the SMD was not really designed to "officially" launch SMS roms. Sms mode on the smd is enabled at first for the bios.

I have the original user's guide and playing sms game on it
is not mentionned.
FrontFarEast certainly knew that was possible but at this time finding sms roms at special format was not so easy as now.

Maybe this is why there's a lack of the pause button and transferring sms roms via parallel port is not working .

mrforever

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leader can you post Photos of this smd mod?
Thanks in advance
Koji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gogo wrote:
I think at his time, the SMD was not really designed to "officially" launch SMS roms. Sms mode on the smd is enabled at first for the bios.

I have the original user's guide and playing sms game on it
is not mentionned.
FrontFarEast certainly knew that was possible but at this time finding sms roms at special format was not so easy as now.

Maybe this is why there's a lack of the pause button and transferring sms roms via parallel port is not working .

Great info, I'll try this later....How are you converting SMS roms to SMD?..
gogo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For converting SMS roms to SMD you have to use GG2MD http://www.zophar.net/utilities/segautil/gg2md.html

it work in command line and accept only roms with short names , so rename it before converting .
After the rom was loaded into the smd you have to do a reset on your megadrive.

I'm very surprised : sonic 1 sms is not working but sonic 2 run well , i was pretty sure that sonic 1 was running on the smd Confused , can someone confirm ?

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too keen on modifying my SMD case. You could add a tiny push button on the back between both DB25.

Since I'm currently doing a floppy drive for the SMD and SMS games only run from floppies, I think I'll just bridge B11 to an unused pin of the FDD's DB25 and add the push button on my custom FDD case.
mrforever

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oky mystic merlin i Will wait to see pics of your mod because i've two smd so i can mod one...
Thanks in advance
Mik
Koji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
I'm not too keen on modifying my SMD case. You could add a tiny push button on the back between both DB25.

I'm with you, a tiny tactile switch should do the work ok.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mod really has nothing to do with the SMD, you could probably insert a SMS adapter to the top cart slot and use it for its pause switch. Also SMS functionality is definitely built into the SMD, it's not an added software feature. SMS support requires bankswitching logic.
gogo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time no see kyuusaku ! Very Happy

kyuusaku wrote:
you could probably insert a SMS adapter to the top cart slot and use it for its pause switch..

I had the same idea at first , i tried it with a Master System Converter II , but unfortunately it's not working (all you got is a black screen when the game was loaded)....

kyuusaku wrote:
Also SMS functionality is definitely built into the SMD, it's not an added software feature. SMS support requires bankswitching logic.

i have certainly not your knowledge in copiers , bankswitching or software feature , but you can be sure .....it work like a charm , otherwise i 'wouldn't have wasted my time to post here Wink

kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, maybe the top slot doesn't connect B11 (I don't think it's used in MD mode)
gogo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes , i confirm , b11 isn't used by the smd .I have retraced the connection with a tester, it goes from the main connector on the bottom to the main board and stop here , at the soldered point .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: