ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Files that grow in size?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulwood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Files that grow in size? Reply with quote

I have a 32Mb card and was under the impression that up to 15 games could be stored. I have so far only managed 4-5 in total. I read the previous entry with interest concerning the 2mb sections of card and thought that explained it. It does not. I have a file in the list as 1054kb which should be 1.05mb right?. That means it fits into one 2mb slot correct?. How come when it is put on the list and onto the card it becomes an 8mb file? How can it grow so much?. With this I can never see how 16 games can fit on the card, even Sonic 1 being 500 something kb becomes a 4mb file?. Can somebody explain this or am I missing the point?
Memblers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mb can stand for two things, megabytes (MB) or megabits (Mb). There's 8 bits in a byte.

1 megabyte = 8 megabits.

32 megabit cart = 4 megabytes.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: r Reply with quote

It is one of the most common blunders to confuse MB and Mb (aka mb).

Large technology companies even do it all the time, often on purpose in an attempt to get people to think a given item has 8 times the memory. Internet service providers do it too (honestly, who the hell really cares how many kilobits per second something is? It's a marketing trick, I tell you! Very Happy )

I believe your flash cart is 32 Megabit=4MB. I don't own the MD Pro yet, but can anyone tell me if these are indeed 4 MB (32mb) as I think they are?

-Rob
Suppafly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However there ARE some 2 megabit games for genesis. I recall FLICKY....You can flash it 16 times inside your 32 mbit flash cart hehe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: