ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SuperFlash cart problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: SuperFlash cart problems Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought a SuperFlash kit from GBAX.com and received it today. I first tested in a JAP SFC, as I'd seen on this forum that the flash carts come preloaded with a game. I got no response, so I presumed that there was no game present. I then loaded on Seiken Densetsu 3e, also no response. I've since tried the cart with between 1 and 4 games (various ROMs and sizes), flashed using various versions of SuperFlash and the latest uCON64, and in 2 different JAP SFCs and a US SNES.

The most response I've ever got from it has been a corrupted purple screen, that flickers randomly for a few seconds then goes blank.

I've always used the T-connector with a US game on the back (tried the switch in both positions, although mostly down obviously Smile ). The T-Connector seems to work fine as I've tried it with a real US game on both the top and back, and the game on top runs. I can flash ROMs onto the cart fine, and also read ROMs of my own original carts.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this and been able to fix it, or am I going to have to get a replacement kit? Sad
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that your Superflash doesn't have a PAL CIC chip installed?
The Dumper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you write a game to the cart, can you read back the game and verify the image is the same as the one you wrote? If you can do this you should be in pretty good shape.

Even with no CIC on the Super Flash you should be able to use the T-Connector with the switch in the right position. IIRC the Super Flash has to be in the Top of the T connector and the SNES game cart in the side. The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you're inserting everything with the correct orientation. Check this, but IIRC it goes: T-connector FRONT facing the front of the SNES, Super Flash into the top of the T-connector with the Front label on PCB facing to the front of the SNES, SNES game cart into the T-Connector with the front game label facing up.
doob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's definitely no CIC chip installed on the SuperFlash. I can tell the console recognises the CIC on the US cart, as if I flick the switch on the T connector up, or put the SuperFlash straight into the console I get a completely blank screen, no signal at all from the console. When it's all set up properly, my TV is obviously getting a signal from the console as it displays a slightly grey picture, and as I said before, occaisonally I get a corrupted purple screen.

I haven't been able to read a game back off the cart, the software doesn't seem to allow this. The "Backup card ROM" button is only active when an original cart is in the programmer, it's greyed out when the SuperFlash is inserted, is this wrong?

I've tried reading back the contents of the SuperFlash with uCON64, but this always produces a 64Mbit image, regardless of what games I wrote to it.
dbjh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doob wrote:
I've tried reading back the contents of the SuperFlash with uCON64, but this always produces a 64Mbit image, regardless of what games I wrote to it.

That's normal. Have you also looked at the data itself?
doob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried writing the whole 64Mbits of the cart (Using an image created with uCON64 out of the menu, Chrono Trigger and Killer Instinct) and then reading it off again. The MD5 sums of the the 2 images do not match, and the data in them looks completely different when viewed in a hex editor.

Does this indicate that there's something wrong with the flash cart, or could it be an issue with uCON64? It did truncate Killer Instinct when creating the multi game image, presumably because adding the menu takes it slightly over 64Mb.

This also did not work in a SNES, produced a garbled screen (image below). Interestingly, whenever I get one of these garbled screens, I can't reliably reproduce it. If I turn the console off or reset it, I usually just get a blank screen again.

dbjh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doob wrote:
I tried writing the whole 64Mbits of the cart (Using an image created with uCON64 out of the menu, Chrono Trigger and Killer Instinct) and then reading it off again. The MD5 sums of the the 2 images do not match, and the data in them looks completely different when viewed in a hex editor.

That the check sums differ is also normal. The multi-game image uCON64 creates for the Super Flash is not written as is. It's interpreted. So, that's why the check sums will always differ. However, what you are experiencing is clearly not normal.

doob wrote:
Does this indicate that there's something wrong with the flash cart, or could it be an issue with uCON64? It did truncate Killer Instinct when creating the multi game image, presumably because adding the menu takes it slightly over 64Mb.

I can't rule out a problem with uCON64, but you also mentioned problems with the official software, so it's more than likely there's something wrong with your Super Flash set up.
You're right about the truncating of Killer Instinct.

doob wrote:
This also did not work in a SNES, produced a garbled screen (image below). Interestingly, whenever I get one of these garbled screens, I can't reliably reproduce it. If I turn the console off or reset it, I usually just get a blank screen again.

That's quite bad. I don't expect it will help, but have you tried another PC?
doob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbjh wrote:
That's quite bad. I don't expect it will help, but have you tried another PC?

As a last resort I've just tried using my girlfriend's laptop, unfortunately with the same results. I've got in contact with GBAX and I should be able to get a replacement if they can't get it to work either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: