ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Megacart compatibility with Wondermega?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Evermind Genesis Megacart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skullmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Megacart compatibility with Wondermega? Reply with quote

I have just bought a (Japanese) Wondermega M2 (JVC), here's a pic of the unit to save on confusion:

http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/others/victor_wondermega.htm

If you look in the picture, the unit is the M2 varient not the M1 that the description says it is, (infrared controller is the givaway).

I don't want to have to mod this any more than needed, (will still need to do the cartridge based mod, but I plan on trying to do it without needing external switches), but I don't want to have to do one for the CD portion as well.

Will this work with the Megacart and the Xeye fix, (they should be the same except the Xeye didn't have the wireless controller)?

I already have the MDPro64 and adapter, and a Datel CDXPro V1.8i, so I don't really want to buy this as well if it won't help out with this.

(Just won the item at auction, so I don't have the unit yet will be a few weeks, just before anyone suggest a test with current hardware Very Happy ).

As far as I know the CDXPro won't work with the Xeye/Wondermega's as they have different bios' to the SCD.

Any comments, ideas appreciated.

Cheers
fonzie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Skull.

I'm sorry, i cannot say if the american Xeye hardware is the same as Japanese Victor wondermega or Japanese Sega wondermega... It might be same, so yeah, it might work...

The Megacart has been reported (by a costumer) working on the american XEYE, but we had to make a little fix for him.

The fix file/rom need to be placed in megacart's rom area (reducing the user-flashable rom space to 8Meg+8Meg+4Meg instead of full 24Meg...
To place it, there is only two solutions :
-Using mdpro's computer adapator (megacart adapator is same) and the megacart driver to flash the xeyefix.bin to the megacart.
-Ask tototek to preflash it to your cart before shipping.

Thx for your interest.
Skullmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fonzie,

thanks for the info about the mega cart, I may just take the plunge and buy it in the next day or two, was just wandering about this quote on your website:

"One Megacart = 70$us"

You also mentioned that Tototek could preflash the fix before postage (wouldn't be needed as I have the MDPro adapter and cables anyway), but does that mean it is sent from yourself or tototek? Also do you know what shipping method is used for the quoted price?

Where it's shipped from and the service used, ie EMS/priority Air, standard airmail etc.... will have a large impact on how long it would take to arrive.

Thanks
fonzie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You also mentioned that Tototek could preflash the fix before postage (wouldn't be needed as I have the MDPro adapter and cables anyway), but does that mean it is sent from yourself or tototek? Also do you know what shipping method is used for the quoted price?
Where it's shipped from and the service used, ie EMS/priority Air, standard airmail etc.... will have a large impact on how long it would take to arrive.
Thanks

Megacart is manufactured & published by tototek, so its tototek who will sent you the megacart for 70usd shipping included. I don't recal why i'm here for ^^.

It is shipped using EMS or Airmail, i don't know, not using ground shipping Wink
It should arrive between 3days and 3 weeks (average of 8 days) depending of the postman.

You'll find all the infos about how to fix the xeye thing on megacart website (FAQ).

Good luck

FOnz
Skullmonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fonzie, got the Megacart today, and it's fantastic, really well done. It works perfectly on my 1st setup:

Australian: Megadrive 1, Mega CD 1, 32X, (megadrive and 32X fully moded).

It allmost works just as well on the Japanese Victor WonderMega BUT.....:

Every game, not matter how long you play it, will eventually get a huge distortion coming through the sound, (like the sound of heavy static). Easyiest way to see it, is to just let the game loop through its demo screens, and eventually, as it gets to the point where you hear the disc spin up as it goes back to the title screen, (just after running a demo), the static sound kicks in. Also it is ALLWAYS only the LEFT stereo channel that is affected. Also, once it starts, it stays, so if I press the reset button on the Wondermega, it reboots to the fixed bios and as soon as the games loads again that same audio bug is there from the start.

Is it possible to see if you could fix this at all, I'm sure it's something in the xeyefix, (hopefully it won't be too hard to track down).

I do have some really bad video of this affect, (it was shot with my digital camera, so its not great, but you can see and hear whats going on). If you want I could email you some of these, (they are pretty big though, between 3Mb and 15Mb so you'll need broadband).

Thanks
Skullmonkey
fonzie

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Skullmonkey, thank you for your repport.
I'm a bit sad that your wondermega have an issue...

Quote:
Also it is ALLWAYS only the LEFT stereo channel that is affected.

Interesting... I really wonder if it is the hardware or the software which cause the problem...
The megadrive mix its sound with the segacd one and it would be good to know which part is affected (or both)...

Quote:
so if I press the reset button on the Wondermega, it reboots to the fixed bios and as soon as the games loads again

Again, interesting info (for me and tomy ^^). Fixed bios = your wondermega bios, right?

Quote:
and as soon as the games loads again that same audio bug is there from the start.

Interesting, again...

I have some questions then :
-What does happen if you hold start (and only start) while megacart boots and when you run a japanese game, does the nasty sound comes too?
-Does the nasty sounds comes when playing a regular cartridge rom from megacart or it's only when it is a disc game?

I PMED my email to you, please send me one or two vids ^^
edit : seems PM don't work... Please check http://www.genny4ever.net (introduction section) for my email.

Fonzie
altima1994

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too having a similar audio problem with my JVC XEyes (US NTSC). it looks like with the cart inserted, it is slowing down the loading time (not sure if everyone's experiencing a similar problem, or it it just me). The game got frozen intermitently. Hopefully I will see some fix in the future. Nevertheless, it is a great piece of hardware anyway. Thanks.
fonzie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the notice, Skullmonkey and Altima.

It appear that the USA xeye (at least) does very tricky things with its own bios, I can't get it dumped while I can dump with ease my megacd2 bios.

I think a start of solution would be to dump all the xeyes/wondermega bioses and include them into the megacart.
However, if those bioses are tricky to dump or even impossible to run from megacart, then the challange is lost...

I'll update tomorow the megacart webpage to clearly indicate that xeye/wondermega are incompatible for now...

Anyway, Altima, you also have a regular model1 or 2 megacd, yeah?
Thx

Fonz
Ruger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fonzie!

I just tested Megacart with a Japanese Sega Wondermega 1 (HWM-5010). Tried to boot some US SegaCD discs and JPN MegaCD discs - by holding down B or A at startup. Some got to the game's titlescreen and then stopped loading, but most stopped loading even before that. If I press Start to use the Wondermega BIOS all the JPN MegaCD discs boot fine. Maybe the Wondermega reads the discs in a slightly different way?

I have dumped the Wondermega BIOS with the Megacart and have a MD-Pro adapter. Now I only need to find a PC which has EPP support. Have you or Tomy considered adding EPP emulation to the utilities?

I had the same problem with V64 Jr., but the transfer tool "elim" had a great "-software" feature. The nfo explains: "It enables a software-based implementation of the EPP handshaking protocol. This means that anybody with a Bidirectional, PS/2, anti-Bung EPP, or ECP parallel port that complies with the Bidirectional parallel port tech specs used to write this send tool should be able to use their V64jr now, when the couldn't before. Of course, you wouldn't want to use this option if don't need it because the doing the EPP handshaking in the software takes about 8 times as long as doing it in the hardware of an EPP controller."

Ruger
fonzie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ruger,

Quote:

I have dumped the Wondermega BIOS with the Megacart and have a MD-Pro adapter. Now I only need to find a PC which has EPP support.

When I tried to get dumped the Xeye bios , it was duped too, but the dump was corrupted ^^. I cross finger it worked for you.

Quote:
Have you or Tomy considered adding EPP emulation to the utilities?

I think yes, but it is quite hard to do something reliable. I would be happy to know how and who made a EPP>ECP. If you have some links, else i'll google it.

Thx for your reports.
Skullmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fonzie,

I have been trying to dump the bios for you, but I don't see that the Bios is dumping at all, or am I doing it wrong?

Even updating to the newest 1.6 Megacart bios, I find that after it says on screen that the bios has dumped ok, I can't actually find it on the cart anywhere.... Any idea why?

I seem to remember that one of the earlier Megacart bios's 1.4 or maybe earlier, when I tried to dump the Mega CD Bios it actually wrote a file to the Mega CD save area, which thinking back was proberbly the bios I needed to "backup" to the Megacart, (I'm talking about the Mega CD 1 Eur here, as if it won't dump this, it proberbly won't dump the XEye).

Could you confirm where this file should save to, and how large it should be? Shouldn't it be 128KB?

Actually, could you please email me a zip file with all the versions of the Megacart bios, from the original to the current, and I'll try all of them.

Also is it possible that the Xeye has the MegaDrive and MegaCD bios contained on one chip? And if so would that make it even harder/impossible for the MegaCart to dump it? I took the Xeye apart on the Weekend, to see if I could identify where the CD bios was, and I couldn't. It seems that JVC may have used a single chip solution for both bios's.

Will wait to hear from you.

Cheers
fonzie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi skull.

Well, It appear that the xeye/wondermega bios is not dumpable because protected by a strange mechanism...

Actualy, when using the dumping function, the file is "hiddenly" copied to the flash.. and when you do "receive 24Meg", you get a 3MB file which contain the dumped bios...

Quote:
harder/impossible for the MegaCart to dump it? I took the Xeye apart on the Weekend, to see if I could identify where the CD bios was, and I couldn't. It seems that JVC may have used a single chip solution for both bios's.

You seems more handy with that than I am, I would be happy to contact you on msn : f o n z i e v o l t n o v at h o t m a i l dot c o m.

Bye and thx for the report

Fonz
Skullmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fonzie,

Good news, I finally managed to Dump the Wondermega bios today, (was able to verify that it is a complete dump), from the Victor model: RGM2.
I have sent you an email, with the bios attached, and all the info I managed to gather in the short amount of time I have been able to spend with it.

Hope this helps, I sent the email to your address at the GENNY4EVER website.

Cheers
Skull
fonzie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, first, thank you a lot to all the peoples who tried to dump the xeye/wondermega bios... And especially SkullMonkey for a successful dump Wink

The problem is on the way to be solved... I can say that it should be possible to play Japanese games on USA xeye (which is the most requested region, i suppose...).

If anybody have an USA xeye + JAP game with a Megacart ready to be flashed, please contact me Smile

Thx again,

Fonz
altima1994

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fon,
Good to hear thing is really progressing. I have X'Eyes, what do you need or want me to do with it? Happy to help. Just let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Evermind Genesis Megacart All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: