ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IS there a way to patch EURO 32x roms to play in NTSC?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suppafly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: IS there a way to patch EURO 32x roms to play in NTSC? Reply with quote

There are some good europe-only games like DARXIDE, but i have a USA Genesis 2 and 32x.....is there a way to patch it so i can play it with my MD PRO PLUS??? Rolling Eyes
Whitesnake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes a hack would be required Smile you would have to talk to ex-cyber about it who is on efnet #segaxtreme
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ! Hope ex-cyber can help. But use NTSC 32X to play Pal 32X games.Maybe the screen have problem and hang. Cause by 60hz/50hz problem.But still wait for it. Because my 32X also is NTSC. And "leo" told me that the normal region free hardware can't hack 32X games. Cool
Ex-Cyber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remove the usual Genesis territory check from 32X games (manually; there's no algorithm that will work for patching all games). I'm not totally aware of what protection or incompatibility exists beyond that, though it's likely that some games would suffer from timing problems as tomy mentioned. Perhaps there are also some PAL-optimized games (if such a thing is even possible on 32X's hardware) that would display incorrectly at NTSC resolution.
dbjh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-Cyber wrote:
I can remove the usual Genesis territory check from 32X games (manually; there's no algorithm that will work for patching all games).

But I guess there are certain patterns that you search for. If there is interest for it I could add an option to uCON64 to patch 32X games. For SNES games uCON64 can patch them so that for example a protected NTSC game will run on a PAL SNES/TV. The nice thing is that you can specify patterns in a file so that you don't have to recompile the executable. If you are interested I could add some code so that uCON64 can do the same for Genesis games. This is much better than game-specific IPS patches. ToToTEK could maintain the pattern file. Perhaps Leo could even add support for it to DreamWriter. The pattern file can then be updated at a regular basis without the hassle of a binary release.
Suppafly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great dbjh!! It would be wonderful to add that method to play Euro-only games on US nTSC and 32x!!!...Do you think you can do it? Shocked
dbjh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wel, I can add the "infrastructure" to uCON64. Someone like Ex-Cyber would still have to add search patterns. I'm willing to add that feature, but if the people that know how to crack those games aren't interested it is of not much use.
Ex-Cyber: if the structure of the pattern files is not clear feel free to ask me for an explanation.
dbjh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have changed uCON64 so that -f also works for Genesis files. Anonymous CVS lags one day behind at SourceForge, so tomorrow night (local time) you can download the code. If you want to develop region protection search-and-defeat codes but if you don't know how to use CVS or a compiler or simply don't feel like compiling uCON64 yourself, feel free to send me a private message with your e-mail address. Then I will send you a binary. Please don't send me private messages if you don't seriously plan on developping codes.
Ex-Cyber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I guess there are certain patterns that you search for.

It's not really a hex search/replace, I run the code through IRAPC and find references to the version register, then look at the surrounding code. In the interest of advancing the capabilities of the tools I could try to generalize it to a series of search patterns, but I can't guarantee good compatibility because there are some significant complications. Still, I can't be sure how many games are really affected by these, so I should probably try it and see how it works...
dbjh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very nice if you do that. It's no problem if other games are affected by a certain search-and-replace pattern. Only games you have tried or know about should be patched (correctly) with -f. I do the same for SNES: I don't care what is changed in games that needn't be patched. To prevent problems with new search patterns (to make them more specific in case a similar patterns occurs in other games that can already be patched) I maintain a list of SNES games that are known to be correctly patched with the current code (see "NTSC-PAL notes.txt"). For Genesis games you (or me) could maintain a similar list.

BTW what is IRAPC?
acem77

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: pal 32x games on usa/ntsc 32x . Reply with quote

i tricked it to play with a switch i added to my genesis.
i have 2 switches on my genesis. one for jap and one for pal.
for a pal game turn the gen on with the switch on the when the game starts turn the pal switch off. it seems with the md-pro and game list you have to start first in ntsc mode the right when you select the game flip the switch to pal. at that point you should see the game start the turn off the pal switch. it is too cool to play Darxide 32X (A) [!].32x on my usa 32x. Laughing
Whitesnake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to add Spiderman Web of Fire 32x works on a euro system. there is no lockout or speed problems Smile
DjoeN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the other wxay around also Smile

NTSC to PAL 32X Smile

I do own Genesis machines, but no US 32X only PAL 32x

Smile
timofonic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news about it? Ex-Cyber?
acem77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

switch info link
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/genesis/file/sega_genesis.txt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: