ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to copy FDS 2.8" disk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbudrick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a few undumped FDS games, many dumps are unclean dumps, PP can't play some disks without copiers, some of the FDS images don't work fully yet on PP, FDS sound not supported without hardware hack, PP can't back up saved games on disk or repair real disks, PP is expensive, and often not available. All that, and some folks just really want to use the original hardware and have a *working* collection with their pretty cases and real tangible instruction manuals.

So, there's still plenty of reasons to want a good FDS solution and there will be for some time.

-Rob
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
Still a few undumped FDS games, many dumps are unclean dumps, PP can't play some disks without copiers, some of the FDS images don't work fully yet on PP, FDS sound not supported without hardware hack, PP can't back up saved games on disk or repair real disks, PP is expensive, and often not available. All that, and some folks just really want to use the original hardware and have a *working* collection with their pretty cases and real tangible instruction manuals.

So, there's still plenty of reasons to want a good FDS solution and there will be for some time.

-Rob

Only prob with backing up FDS disks is the hardware necessary is very hard to come by - not like you can just pick it up on ebay. Now if say, Tomy released the hardware necessary to back up FDS to/from a PC, then I'd be interested.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastbayarb wrote:
rbudrick wrote:

-Rob

Only prob with backing up FDS disks is the hardware necessary is very hard to come by - not like you can just pick it up on ebay. Now if say, Tomy released the hardware necessary to back up FDS to/from a PC, then I'd be interested.

FDSLoadr cables can be made easily with parts from eBay.

-Rob
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
eastbayarb wrote:
rbudrick wrote:

-Rob

FDSLoadr cables can be made easily with parts from eBay.

-Rob

I would rather buy one from someone that is premade, as I don't have the time nor skill to do so (yea i know you can do it yourself, but like someone working on your car, it's just best left to the professionals)). I would gladly pay a reasonable price for one to be made
cpix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tototek.com/tomy/mgd1_to_pc_cable_schematic.jpg

looking at the jpg of the cable, it seems that the other end of the cable is not a db15, as i cant understand where in the fds you'd hook up a femail db15 to the mgd`?
rbudrick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpix wrote:

looking at the jpg of the cable, it seems that the other end of the cable is not a db15, as i cant understand where in the fds you'd hook up a femail db15 to the mgd`?

Umm, directly to the MGD data port. Where else?

-Rob
cpix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
cpix wrote:

Umm, directly to the MGD data port. Where else?

-Rob

ok, so the mgd has a db15 port? =) i thought it was the connector to the fds drive
mikeman400

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: FDS Reply with quote

If anyone needs any hardware from here in Japan that is working on developing this. Let me know. I live just outside Tokyo. These days FDS drives are getting harder to find, but they can still be had for a price.

I'm really interested in writing my own FDS disks. I've been trying to find a way to to this for the last 2 years. Unfortunately my FDS drive and my famicom are back in the USA.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: FDS Reply with quote

mikeman400 wrote:
If anyone needs any hardware from here in Japan that is working on developing this. Let me know. I live just outside Tokyo. These days FDS drives are getting harder to find, but they can still be had for a price.

I'm really interested in writing my own FDS disks. I've been trying to find a way to to this for the last 2 years. Unfortunately my FDS drive and my famicom are back in the USA.

I am interested in the hardware necessary to write my own FDS disks.
madman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing to work on unless someone wants to build an entirely new device. Otherwise your options are FDSloadr or an MGD1+cable. I never had any luck w/FDSloadr but have gotten the MGD1 to work without issues for both reading and writing FDS disks. In my opinion it's the best way to go.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
There is nothing to work on unless someone wants to build an entirely new device. Otherwise your options are FDSloadr or an MGD1+cable. I never had any luck w/FDSloadr but have gotten the MGD1 to work without issues for both reading and writing FDS disks. In my opinion it's the best way to go.

I have had the opposite experience that madman has had. I can never get my MGD to work, but my FDSLoader works flawlessly.

By the way, FDSLoader does not write disks, even though the author's works. He did a custom mod that I can't make sense of to get his to write with FDSLoader. You can still write disks with a TGD6 or similar and a program like Copy Master or others in combination with FDSLoader, though.

Mikeman400, if you are able to obtain a Chameleon, I'd be interested. The creator of it only sells inside JP.

-Rob
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally acquired an MGD1 from Tomy's friend website, and a 7201 FDS drive. Is it possible to copy from FDS disk to the MGD1 3.5" drive?

Also, I was looking at the MGD1 to PC cable schematic and was wondering what those boxes (D0-D7, S3-S7, C0-C3) mean?

thanks!
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

D0-7 = data bits 0-7
S3-7 = status bits 3-7
C0-3 = control bits 0-3

Ignore them.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
No.

D0-7 = data bits 0-7
S3-7 = status bits 3-7
C0-3 = control bits 0-3

Ignore them.

Ok I am gonna build my own MGD1 to PC cable, but I am wondering

Does the above mean C0-3 is just there for the hell of it and not actually connected to anything? Also, about S3-7, does the schematic suggest that for example:

DB15 pin 9 is connected to the 220k resistor and both of those are connected to pin 15 on the DB25 (and the other end of the 220k resistor connected to pin 7 on the DB25)?

thanks

Last edited by RGB_Gamer on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out:

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=1575.0

Very interesting indeed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: