ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few quick questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamIAm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: A few quick questions Reply with quote

Hello! I've been very interested in getting one of your new 64mb Genesis flash carts for a while, and at this point I think I will buy one as soon as I can get a couple easy questions answered.

First and foremost, can somebody confirm for me from personal experience that the Japanese Mega Drive game "Panorama Cotton" will work easily with this flash cart on a US system? Being able to play that game would be my primary reason for buying this device.

Next, is it known whether or not the flash cart will work on a JVC X'EYE (Japanese Wondermega)? I've got one of those and a regular Genesis 2, but I would prefer to use the X'EYE for its better sound and video outputs.

If there are positive answers to the above questions, then my next ones would be:

When should I order? It's Halloween weekend at the moment, so I don't think I'll put the order through right now, but would Monday be a good time to pay and get everything processed effectively? If not, when is the best time?

And lastly, since I see that you've set up the ordering process to work on your website, is there a particular browser that is more compatible with your design? I'm only asking because, truth be told, I actually started ordering one of these from the site about a month ago, but my browser crashed before I paid, and I never got around to it again. I'm using Mozilla Firebird 0.6. I have IE 5.5 on this system, would that be better?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's what I do whenever I buy something that costs this much. Any and all answers are much appreciated. Thank you!
mr-monday

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam

You can order any time. My flash linker took about a week to arrive on London.
I've played Panorama Cotton on my Japanese MegaJet, but it will work on any Megadrive/Genesis because the flash writer software can change the region of games.
Out of all the games I've tried only one hasn't worked, and that's Funnyworld/Balloon Boy. The flash cart will work fine on the X'Eye/Wondermega.
dhaunet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this thing is tiny! Imagine using it with Sega Nomad Smile

And it works fine with my ugly black mushrum (32x) Smile

The only bad thing is that you have to take it out from console to reflash....

I wonder if it's possible to write a flasher in Sega CD format with zipped roms on the same CD Smile

Then it would be self-contained system Smile
acem77

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panorama Cotton works with the md-pro.
i played it on the nomad,cdx,and genesis vr1.
i beat the game with a action relay code i made.
the md-pro does not unlock any region.
not all games have any protection other than the shape of the cart.
if you want to play golden axe 3 you will need a converter cart/action replay or a region switch in your genesis for jap mode. or if you want to play rockman(megaman) euro ver you will need a converter cart or euro switch. i put both switches in to my gen ver1. you can even
play euro 32x games with the switch.
ketotot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Rock Man on my US system by using the option in the flash software to change the region of the rom file.
So, no you do not need a converter or region switch to play Panorama Cotton, or Rock Man World on your system using the MD-PRO.
And I would use IE 5.5 when ordering, just to be safe.
Arrow Also, order before the holidays to avoid delays.
sam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaunet wrote:
I wonder if it's possible to write a flasher in Sega CD format with zipped roms on the same CD Smile

That'd never work...isos work fine anyways.

Btw cool someone has a name similar to mine Embarassed
ketotot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think dhaunet means a flash cart that will play SEGA CD games.
He's talking about a way to put SEGA cartridge roms on a CD that will play using the SEGA CD to read the roms.
I think it's possible, but I don't have the coding skills to do it.
It would have to be a program that lets you add your roms and then output an iso file to make the SEGA cd.
conceitedjerk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam wrote:
dhaunet wrote:

That'd never work...isos work fine anyways.

I beg to differ.

(Apologies in advance if this is off-topic here...)

There's a project called Super HuCard for the PC Engine that does just that! Smile

Check it out at http://www.zeograd.com/super_hucard_download.php

If it can be done for the PCE, why not the Genesis?

CJ
Memblers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About CD-loading (that's a really interesting link, conceitedjerk), it depends on the amount of RAM available and the suitability of relocating code to that RAM. I could be wrong, but code for an 8-bit CPU might be somewhat easier to relocate.

And that site says the Super CD 3.0 has 2Mbit of RAM (256KB). I doubt the Sega CD has more RAM than that, and very few Genesis games would fit in that size.
conceitedjerk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memblers wrote:
About CD-loading (that's a really interesting link, conceitedjerk), it depends on the amount of RAM available and the suitability of relocating code to that RAM. I could be wrong, but code for an 8-bit CPU might be somewhat easier to relocate.

One would assume. That'd be my guess, anyway!

Quote:
And that site says the Super CD 3.0 has 2Mbit of RAM (256KB).

...and an additional 2Mbit if you've got an Arcade Card, too. Assuming, of course, they find a way to access it Wink

Quote:
I doubt the Sega CD has more RAM than that, and very few Genesis games would fit in that size.

Ah well, can't have everything...

Truth told, the SuperHucard CD is a nice idea, unfortunately, out of the 75 games on the CD, only 40% work on my PC Engine Duo R
Sad

Guess I'll wait for a Flash ROM system...
MadenMann

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer:
Without sourcecodes and recompiling the game it cannot run on mcd because there are completely different adresses for catridge and cd-rom. Or in simple: Try to open a .bmp with mspaint. If it is on your local computer, no problem. If it is in the inet you have a problem. mspaint can't load pictures from the net (yet).

I think it is possible to code a loader, which gets the games from the cd into the memory of the flashcard. But why should somebody want to have this, if you could load __all__ your roms from pc without
- starting md/g
- search the rom on the cd, oh.. wrong cd
- changing the cd
- restarting
- searching the rom
- copy the rom from the cd to the card
- restarting the md/g
- starting the rom

What I plan is to write a rom, which lets you save your cd-stats to the SRAM. (Which is only 1/8 (?) of the back up card.) With that option it would be possible to save the savegames on the pc. This would be really cool. But cd-loader... Forget it. :)
timofonic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why not a flash cart writer for MCD? Could be possible, if not directly, why some extra hw stuff...
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tototek is done with MD. You guys wanting more and more are on your own now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: