ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing USA SNES games on a Super Famicom system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Playing USA SNES games on a Super Famicom system Reply with quote

I did a google search on this subject as well as ebay, but I can't seem to find an adapter to play my USA SNES Games on my SFC system. I bought a converter from gamedoctorhk, but it doesn't have the extra pins on the socket for games that use special chips so games with like Star Fox, and Mario RPG don't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

I already tried playing some games through the cart slot on my SWC DX2. Here are my results:

Stunt Race FX - works
Vortex - works
Dirt Trax FX - works
Star Fox - no video
Yoshi's Island - not working
Super Mario RPG - not working
Kirby Super Star - not working

It's also not as simple as taking out the PCB and putting it into an SFC cartridge case because in order to do that, the SFC cartridge case has to have the extra slots for the extra pins (would have to be a game with a special chip)

Last edited by RGB_Gamer on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Action Replay MK3 which does what you want for atleast some chip games. I know Doom worked and I think Mega Man X2 and X3 worked but had some issues. I don't have any SA-1 games to test so I don't know if that works. I think there are "cartridge slot protectors" which would do what you want too. Also the Game Doctor SF series should be able to run Star Fox from the cart port.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
I have an Action Replay MK3 which does what you want for atleast some chip games. I know Doom worked and I think Mega Man X2 and X3 worked but had some issues. I don't have any SA-1 games to test so I don't know if that works. I think there are "cartridge slot protectors" which would do what you want too. Also the Game Doctor SF series should be able to run Star Fox from the cart port.

My GDSF7 doesn't seem to like some of these special chip games. I saw a youtube video of some guy that did it buy modifying the cartridge but I don't wanna do that. how much for your Action Replay MK3? I know they are very expensive, so if they are, I guess I will just hack a game genie because I am tired of taking out the PCB on a special chip SNES game and putting it into my Star Ocean cartridge case.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a link to the video? Curious what he changed. If you want the AR MK3 maybe it can be part of a trade. They are pretty uncommon and it took me awhile to come across the one I got.

If you want to use a Game Genie you should be aware that not all Game Genie's have the extra pins connected. And I can't say for sure if the ones that do have them all connected will work with all games or not. I've only heard a person or two confirm Super FX as working with it.
mark_k

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing USA SNES games on a Super Famicom system Reply with quote

eastbayarb wrote:
I did a google search on this subject as well as ebay, but I can't seem to find an adapter to play my USA SNES Games on my SFC system. I bought a converter from gamedoctorhk, but it doesn't have the extra pins on the socket for games that use special chips so games with like Star Fox, and Mario RPG don't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

I already tried playing some games through the cart slot on my SWC DX2. Here are my results:
It's also not as simple as taking out the PCB and putting it into an SFC cartridge case because in order to do that, the SFC cartridge case has to have the extra slots for the extra pins (would have to be a game with a special chip)

You need an extension adapter, which simply extends the cart slot and should work with 100% of games. I guess the converter you bought is like that, except as you say doesn't have the wide cart slot.

There are lots of converters on eBay (well, at least eBay UK), but most of those are designed for playing NTSC games on PAL consoles or vice versa. That type of converter has two cart slots; one for the game you want to play and another for a domestic cart.

If you were to use a converter like that, you'd have to plug a US or Japanese cart into the second slot (assuming you haven't disabled the lockout chip of your SFC). Kind of inconvenient, plus certain games like Super Mario RPG wouldn't work.

However... you can buy a converter like that, open it up and modify it to work just like a simple extension adapter. It's quite easy to do. Or, you could probably fit a switch to use the converter either as a simple cart slot extender, or as it was originally sold (i.e. allow you to play most PAL Super NES carts on your SFC).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: