ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash 2 Advance carts won't save. Change the battery?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> User Buy/Sell, and Request stuff here
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Flash 2 Advance carts won't save. Change the battery? Reply with quote

I have three 256mb f2a carts that I use with my GB Bridge but they wont save for games that support battery backup. The battery inside doesnt seem easily removeable. Any ideas on how to restore the ability to save?
amptor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Flash 2 Advance carts won't save. Change the battery? Reply with quote

RGB_Gamer wrote:
I have three 256mb f2a carts that I use with my GB Bridge but they wont save for games that support battery backup. The battery inside doesnt seem easily removeable. Any ideas on how to restore the ability to save?

People on gbatemp used to have a very mickey mouse way to fix this. Basically if they found the battery was still good but the contacts were broken, they would place a piece of aluminum foil between the battery and the broken contact. While this works, it isn't a very good approach because aluminum is not ideal for loose placement to conduct electricity. it oxidizes and can act as resistance to the power the battery applies to the SRAM to store saves. Of course kiddies on a low tech forum wouldn't know that though. These batteries usually were spot welded on in a rush at the factory so the spot weld wasn't always very good.

Otherwise they had another botched up bandaid fix but I forgot what it was to replace the battery.

I would say that if the battery is dead, then you'd want to desolder the contacts and replace the whole thing. Or if the battery is easily removed from the nickel plated steel pieces that are soldered to the PCB, you'd want to break the battery from the spot welds and put another battery in. Unfortunately I haven't ever soldered a battery in place without heating it up quite a bit which I believe is bad for the acid paste inside it. There should be a way to though. Or if you know someone with the right type of spot welder, you could easily spot weld a new battery in.

But yeah I was having problems saving on one cartridge of mine and ended up having to solder the contact back down for the battery. That sucker got pretty hot. But since that was many years ago I bet all the batteries in all my devices no longer work anyway, regardless if I overheated that one or not. Plus at that time I thought I was good at soldering but I wasn't Razz

RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is strange how this GB bridge works with saves. My GBC games save just fine on one cart, but dont save GB mono games on another, and I am fairly certain the carts (and batteries inside them) are the same age...
madman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, soldering directly to a battery can be dangerous as the amount of heat required could even cause an explosion of the battery. One trick when soldering to smooth surfaces is to scratch/score the surface, it gives crevices for the solder to adhere to. I've heard some of the battery shops will do spot weld jobs if you buy the batteries from them, so that may be another option.
amptor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGB_Gamer wrote:
It really is strange how this GB bridge works with saves. My GBC games save just fine on one cart, but dont save GB mono games on another, and I am fairly certain the carts (and batteries inside them) are the same age...

Yeah you might want to test the battery and see how much energy is left in it. If it is a CR2032 or similar it is 3V (if you can't read it on the battery for some reason). It should still save if it drops down a bit I would imagine, but I don't know how low they can get before the saves won't work.

For mine, I could clearly see the spot welds broken off so I just immediately (more or less, that battery wicks up heat like nothing else because it is mostly made out of steel) soldered it back on. If I was to do it all over again, I would research online what the best approach to reattaching the metal is and then follow that.

I am remembering the broken contacts were in one of my MGD3 carts. I think it might have been one 16M but it has been so long I have forgotten.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> User Buy/Sell, and Request stuff here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: